How to Prepare for BOM PO English Language 2016: The Bank of Maharashtra had issued an official notification inviting candidates to apply for the recruitment exam for the posts of probationary officers. There are around 1315 vacancies for the same. The registration process is over now and all the applicants must start preparing for the online examination. The online exam will consist of objective type of questions from the following 4 subjects,
- Reasoning Ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language
- General Awareness
Out of these subjects, English language is a subject which is a little tricky in Bank of Maharashtra (BOM) PO Recruitment Examination. Also, English plays a significant role in most of the competitive exams. It demands constant practice as Vocabulary and Grammar cannot be learned in a day which are the two integral parts of English.
Also Read: How to Crack BOM PO Quant Section
To score well in BOM PO English Language Section, it is necessary that your basic concepts are clear. It is relatively easy for the candidates to score in English if their concepts of what they learned at high school level are clear. If not, you need to practice it regularly and make it work for you.
Some students count on English as it is their strength but there are others as well for whom it is challenging to even clear the cut-off. This totally depends on their education background, vocabulary and personal interest.
In this article, we are going to guide you on certain tips that one must keep in mind while preparing for English Language.
Bank of Maharashtra PO Exam Pattern 2016
- 1 Bank of Maharashtra PO Exam Pattern 2016
- 2 How to Prepare for BOM PO English Language 2016
- 2.1 Reading Comprehension Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
- 2.2 Cloze Test Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
- 2.3 Spotting the Error Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
- 2.4 Fill in the banks Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
- 2.5 Synonyms/ Antonyms Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
- 2.6 Practice and Solve Mock Tests/Previous Year’s Papers
- 2.7 Share this:
The BOM PO is a computer-based exam that consists of 4 subjects. These subjects are-Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language and General Awareness (with special reference to Banking Industry). There will be a total of 200 questions carrying one mark each.
|Name of Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
- The questions will be of multiple choice.
- The exam will be bilingual (English/ Hindi) except for the subject of English Language.
- Negative marking is applicable for wrong answers.
- Total time to solve the paper is 2 hours.
It is mandatory for candidates to obtain a minimum cut-off score in all the 4 distinctive subjects to move forward in the selection process. So, having a good score in the BOM PO English Language section is very important. Let’s shift our focus on the preparation strategy for BOM PO English Language section.
How to Prepare for BOM PO English Language 2016
The topics included under this section is Vocabulary, Homonyms, Synonyms, Antonyms, Sentence Completion, Word Formation, Topic comprehension (deriving conclusion, theme detection), Sentence Rearrangement, Passage Completion, Rearrangement of Passage, Spelling, Sentence, Grammar Rules (active, passive voice, direct, indirect speech), Phrases and Idioms. Below is a list of important topics and tips on how to prepare each one individually.
Reading Comprehension Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
For BOM PO English Language Section, the following types of questions are asked in the RC Section of the written paper.
- Vocabulary in context: This refers to the meaning of a word in the given context. You must go through the passage even if you know the meaning of the word because these words are always in relation to what the passage conveys. Analyze the tone and the flow of the passage and try to eliminate least favourable options. If you are still unable to find the meaning, you can try to interpret the meaning of the line in which the word occurs and try to find the answer by co-relating.
- Direct Information Problems: To solve such problems, go through the questions first and then start skimming through the passage to find the appropriate answer.
- Inference Problems: Try to read the passage thoroughly and process the information provided to answer such kind of problems. If you find yourself still confused, do not try to guess and better opt to skip the question to save yourself from negative marking.
Cloze Test Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
To excel in this section of BOM PO English Language, you need to be good in vocabulary and grammar.
This is one of the easiest topics provided you attempt it carefully. As all answers to be filled in the blanks are inter-linked, so you have to be very cautious about what you fill in as one wrong answer can lead to another. So, if you are unsure about any blank, skip it for the time being and attempt the next.
Also, go through the list of words that occur very frequently. Words in ‘Word Power Made Easy’ are extremely important for this section.
Spotting the Error Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
To score in this section, you must be well-versed with topics like Part of Speech, Subject-Verb Agreement, Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives, etc.
- Read the sentence and try to find the error by analysing that how does it sound?
- Does it sound grammatically correct?
90% of the times you will be able to spot the error with this technique. You can also check the sentence for subject-verb agreement.
Fill in the banks Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
Grammar and Vocabulary are again very important to perform in this section. Synonyms and Antonyms should also be practised. Think logically and choose options that are relevant in context to the sentence.
Synonyms/ Antonyms Preparation Tips for BOM PO English Language
For any candidate, the success rate in these type of questions generally depends on how good is the vocabulary. Although, it cannot be developed overnight but regular practice and revision will help you to score well.
Allot sometime out of your schedule every day and utilise it efficiently by reading newspapers and articles. Note down words that sound new and find their meanings. Don’t try to learn too many words in one go, as you will not be able to retain them.
Practice and Solve Mock Tests/Previous Year’s Papers
This will help you to be aware of the pattern and structure of the exam. Mostly, 40-50 percent of the paper is based on previous year’s papers. Always follow a systematic approach.
Solve questions topic-wise and then try to attempt the paper in one go. Also, time your tests and towards the end evaluate your performance. Analyze the areas which need more practice and work accordingly. By the end of this, you will know where you stand and how hard you need to work to achieve your goal.
Note: If you are good in English and wish to score in this section, try to attempt 28-32 questions in 25 minutes approximately. And even if you are not good at this subject and are just attempting in order to clear the sectional cut-offs, still aim for 20-25 accurate attempts.
We assume that this article will help you with your BOM PO English Language preparation so that you can score well in this section and clear the sectional cut-off.
- English Practice Set (BOM PO Exam 2016)
- BOM Full Length Mock Test Series 2016 (by Knowledge Group)
- BOM Full Length Mock Test Series 2016 (by Luminous Point)
Post your doubts or queries in the section below. For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.