Prepare for UPSC CDS Mathematics 2016: Combined Defence Services Examination is a national level entrance exam conducted by UPSC twice every year. UPSC CDS (I) was conducted in the month of February, 2016. UPSC has released the official information on the exam dates and application process. This year, UPSC CDS (II) will be conducted on 23rd of October.
CDS (II) examination for Indian Army Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy comprises of three papers i.e. English, Mathematics and General Knowledge. For a complete in-depth analysis of the exam pattern of UPSC CDS (II), follow the link. Hence, we can say that the mathematics section is a key component to ensure a good score for the CDS (II) examination.
So, If you’re aiming for recruitment to Indian Defence forces that includes Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, you need to give equal attention to the mathematics section. Now, let’s shed some light on the topic wise weightage for CDS mathematics paper of UPSC CDS (II) exam.
UPSC CDS Mathematics Topics
To help you understand the pattern of questions for UPSC CDS mathematics section, we have mentioned some topics from previous year’s papers:
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|2014 CDS (I)||2014 CDS (II)||2015 CDS (I)||2015 CDS (II)|
|Surds & Indices||3||2||5||4|
|Percentage (Profit & Loss, Interest Rate)||2||9||7||7|
|Statistics, Data Interpretation||8||6||4||3|
|Average- Problems on Ages- Series||4||3||5||6|
|Time- Speed- Distance-Work||5||7||10||12|
After analyzing CDS mathematics topics for the year 2014, 2015 and 2016, you can easily figure out which topic you need to focus on.
Preparation Tips for UPSC CDS Mathematics
One question that roams around the minds of UPSC CDS candidates is ‘how to prepare for CDS mathematics section’. Even if you do not have an engineering or science background, you can crack the CDS mathematics exam with hard work and determination. To help you in your preparation, here are some important preparation tips to crack the UPSC CDS mathematics section:
- First of all, you need to know the syllabus for mathematics section of CDS (II) exam. Getting acquainted with the syllabus helps you to focus and evaluate your strong/weak topics.
- The most important tip to help you ace the CDS mathematics paper is improving your speed. Practice regularly to enhance your speed and ensure time management.
- Go through previous year’s question papers. Solve previous year’s question papers on a daily basis. This helps in understanding the pattern of questions and how to attempt them. This will also enable you to understand the level of difficulty for each topic.
- Learn the tables up to 25, cubes upto 15, cube roots up to 15 and basic algebra formulas. Maintain a separate notebook for the above mentioned information. Regularly revise them till the date of the examination.
- Learn the basic concepts of the topics mentioned in the syllabus. Take guidance from reference books if you get stuck on a particular topic. Do not leave any topic, even if it seems relatively unimportant, as questions can be asked from anywhere.
- Try to adopt your own short cut methods which you learn after solving variety of questions. Take a systematic approach for each question. Analyze the question before attempting it blindly by conventional methods.
- Practice with various mock tests and question banks which are available on various online portals. This helps you in giving an idea of the different ways the questions are set. The questions are deliberately set in a confusing format but if you are familiar with the pattern and different question types, you will be able to solve the questions easily.
- Learn new tricks or smart learning methods to ensure efficient use of time and labor. Revise whatever you learn during your preparation at the end of the week. This way you will be able to retain the information.
- Most of all, maintain a positive outlook to release the pressure.
RECOMMENDED: UPSC CDS (II) Mock Tests e-Book
We hope all these preparation tips will prove beneficial for the upcoming UPSC CDS (II) Examination. In addition to this, you can also start preparing for English section of UPSC CDS (II) with the help of this link. If there any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section below.
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.