The State Bank of India will conduct SBI PO Preliminary Examination on 2, 3, 9 and 10 July 2016. To help candidates secure more marks in SBI PO Prelims, we will be focussing at providing preparation tips on How to Prepare for English Language for SBI PO Prelims. Earlier, we published a similar article on SBI PO Reasoning Preparation Tips.
In this article, our primary focus will be on How to Prepare for English Language for SBI PO Prelims 2016 and qualify for the next level, SBI PO Mains Examination. Before we start with our discussion regarding SBI PO English Language Preparation Tips, let us revisit the exam pattern of SBI PO Prelims so we all are on the same page.
SBI PO Prelims Exam Pattern 2016
The pattern of SBI PO Preliminary Examination will be objective. There will be 3 sections in total – Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language and the exam will be a Computer-Based Test (CBT).
|Name of the Section||Number of Questions||Marks|
Each question carries 1 mark and the Prelims Exam has 100 questions. The Total Time for solving this paper will be 1 Hour (60 minutes).
Try it Out: SBI PO Synonyms Practice Test Questions
SBI PO Prelims will be qualifying in nature, which means, while creating the final merit list, marks secured in SBI PO Prelims will not be considered. We hope you are now up to speed on the exam pattern of SBI PO Prelims.
SBI PO English Language Preparation Tips for Prelims Examination
In this article, we are going to give preparation tips and tricks for SBI PO English Section. It is the only section where mixed reactions can be seen from candidate’s side as the major source for a good command on this section lies on the Prior Educational Background of the candidate.
Recommended: SBI PO Prelims Mock Test Series
Some find the section easy to attempt while a bunch of SBI candidates prefer skipping a lot of questions. Since we are talking from a neutral point, here is definitive exam strategy on how to tackle English Questions in SBI PO Prelims.
Topic-Wise SBI PO English Language Preparation
In any case whatsoever, an SBI candidate must remember one thing that only 13-15 minutes should be dedicated towards this section. The approach must vary according to the time invested in the following manner.
- A candidate with commendable skills in English Language must invest more time in it and should aim towards solving 19-21 Questions accurately.
- A candidate with average to marginal understanding of solving questions based on English should not go beyond attempting 15 Questions with accuracy and then move to other sections to increase the overall score.
- A candidate who is weak in English should attempt this section towards the end of SBI PO Prelims and answer 12-13 Easy Questions so that they can he/she can clear the English Sectional Cut-off.
A Special Note for all candidates who are weak in this section – Avoid questions based on Parajumbles and Antonym/ Synonyms. On the other hand, Reading Comprehension and Cloze Test Questions should be tackled first.
There will be 30 questions in the English Section of SBI PO Prelims Exam with questions from sub section divided as follows:
- Reading Comprehension
- Cloze Test
- Sentence Correction
- Spot the Error
- Fill in the Blanks
- Para Jumbles
The section-wise preparation tips for English Section of SBI PO Prelims are as follows.
1. Reading Comprehension: The Best Way to easily solve Reading Comprehension is to read thoroughly. The more Faster and effectively you read, the easier you can answer the Questions.
Read the RC Passage once, Read the Question Once and Attempt the Referenced Questions. Again, Read the RC Para and now attempt the Synonym and Antonym Question. This will help you in answering the Vocabulary Questions with usage referencing technique.
2. Cloze Test: This is the scoring topic of the section. Just use hit and trial method. Remove the options that sound bad or look unfit for the blank. The best thing is if you are confused between two options, solve the next Blank first and come back to solve the previous one.
3. Fill in the Blanks: Best way to answer this is the Option Elimination method and conclude the best Fit option as the answer.
4. Sentence Correction/Spotting the Error: These Questions will be answered on the basis of the ”Does this sound Correct”. This will be more intuitive.
It is not at all possible to make English Language your Strength in just a few days. But, regular practice will definitely create a difference and enhance your approach towards solving questions based on English Language.
Recommended: SBI PO Mock Test English Language
We conclude our article on How to Prepare for English Language for SBI PO Prelims 2016.
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.