UPSC NDA Physical Standards 2016: The Union Public Service Commission will be conducting NDA and NA (I) Exam on 17 April. The eligible candidates are evaluated as per physical standards, set by NDA and NA norms. These physical and mental standards are necessary. Failure to clear these standards will result in instant disqualification of the candidate. This article will specifically guide NDA aspirants regarding the specific physical standards regarding height and weight set for Indian Army, Navy and the Air Force.
It is also advisable that all NDA Aspirants should get themselves medically examined to fully understand if they are fit for getting recruited by NDA. Since medical and physical fitness is examined at a later stage, it is better to know things before hand.
The candidates are also advised to rectify minor defects/ailments in order to speed up finalisation of a medical examination conducted at the Military Hospital after being recommended at the SSB.
Few of such commonly found defects/ailments are listed below:
- Wax (Ears)
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Undersized Chest
The civilian candidates appearing for all types of commission in the Armed Forces will be entitled to out-patients treatment from service sources at public expense for injuries sustained or diseases contracted during the course of their examination by the Selection Board. They will also be entitled to in-patient treatment at public expense in the Officers ward of a hospital provided
- the injury is sustained during the tests or,
- the disease is contracted during the course of the examination by selection board and there is no suitable accommodation in a local civil hospital or it is impracticable to remove the patient to the civil hospital; or,
- the medical board requires the candidates admission for observation.
NOTE: They are not entitled to special nursing.
UPSC NDA Physical Standards 2016
- 1 UPSC NDA Physical Standards 2016
- 1.1 The candidate must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease/disability which is likely in interfere with the efficient performance of military duties.
- 1.2 There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects or under weight.
- 1.3 The candidate should not be overweight or obese.
- 2 NDA Physical Standards on Height and Weight
The eligible candidates are called upon for SSC Interview will undergo a medical examination. In order to get recruited to the academy, they need to be declared fit by the Medical Board. There are a few set norms for NDA Physical Standards or Physical Requirements.
The candidate must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease/disability which is likely in interfere with the efficient performance of military duties.
There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects or under weight.
The candidate should not be overweight or obese.
The major NDA Physical Standards distinction is done on the basis of weight and height. Let us discuss about that in detail.
NDA Physical Standards on Height and Weight
Under NDA Physical Requirements, the minimum acceptable height is 157.5 cms for Army and 162.5 cms for Air Force. There are a few exceptions set according to the region of the candidate.
- In case of Gorkhas and individuals belonging to hills of North Eastern regions of India, Garhwal and Kumaon, the minimum acceptable height will be 5 cm less than the general norm.
- In the case of candidates from Lakshadweep, the minimum acceptable height can be reduced by 2 cm.
As per NDA Physical Standards Guidelines, these are required minimum physical attributes for the Indian Army and Air force.
NDA Physical Standards for Indian Army and Air Force
Height (in cms)
Weight (in Kgs.)
|16-17 years||17-18 years||18-19 years|
Height (in cms)
Weight (in Kgs.)
|16 years||18 years||20 years|
A few important pointers regarding Height and Weight NDA Physical Standards are as follows.
- The height is measured without shoes.
- Height relaxation up to 2.5 cm (5 cm for Navy) may be allowed where the Medical Board certifies that the candidate is likely to grow and come up to the required standard on completion of his training.
To meet special requirement as a pilot in the Air Force the acceptable measurements of leg length, thigh length and sitting height will be as under:
|Minimum (in cm)||Maximum (in cm)|
|Sitting Height||81.50||96. 00|
We hope all NDA aspirants were able to draw conclusions from this article regarding NDA Physical Standards 2016. If there are any doubts or queries, please mention in the comments section below.