Basic Concepts of Active-Passive voice: The English Section of most government exams like is primarily focused on Reading Comprehension and Grammar. In today’s post, we will discuss some basic concepts of Active Passive voice. Scroll down to get updated.
Basic Concepts of Active-Passive voice
The active voice describes a sentence where the subject performs the action stated by the verb. In Passive voice, the subject is acted upon by the verb. Below given are the few examples which will help you clear your basic concepts on active passive voice.
Tim painted the entire hall. (Active)
The entire hall was painted by Tim. (Passive)
- Structure- Active voice sentences
Subject + Verb + Object (S + V + O)
- Structure- Passive voice sentences
Object + Verb + Subject (O + V + S)
Change of Tenses (Active to Passive)
|PRESENT||SIMPLE/INDEFINITE||V1/V5||IS/AM/ARE + V3|
|CONTINUOUS||IS/AM/ARE + V4||IS/AM/ARE + BEING + V3|
|PERFECT||HAS/HAVE + V3||HAS/HAVE + BEEN + V3|
|PERFECT CONTINUOUS||HAS/HAVE + BEEN + V4||NO PASSIVE|
|PAST||SIMPLE/INDEFINITE||V2||WAS/WERE + V3|
|CONTINUOUS||WAS/WERE + V4||WAS/WERE + BEING + V3|
|PERFECT||HAD + V3||HAD + BEEN +V3|
|PERFECT CONTINUOUS||HAD + BEEN + V4||NO PASSIVE|
|FUTURE||SIMPLE/INDEFINITE||WILL/SHALL + V1||WILL/SHALL + BE +V3|
|CONTINUOUS||WILL/SHALL + BE + V4||NO PASSIVE|
|PERFECT||WILL/SHALL + HAVE + V3||WILL/SHALL + HAVE + BEEN + V3|
|PERFECT CONTINUOUS||WILL/SHALL + HAVE + BEEN+ V4||NO PASSIVE|
Passives not possible for the following:
- No object
For example: He sings.
- ‘To be’ verbs (is/am/are/was/were etc.) without main verbs.
For example: I am a doctor.
- Future continuous tense
For example, She will be baking cookies at this time tomorrow.
- Perfect continuous tense
For example, They have been trying to get over this for 2 weeks.
Questions to practice:
- The rebels attacked the workers in retaliation.
- I will write an essay.
- He had completed the work.
- A great movie had been screened for all of us.
- The boys laughed at the old man.
- The workers were attacked by the rebels in retaliation.
- An essay will be written by me.
- The work had been completed by him.
- They had screened a great movie for all of us.
- The old man was laughed at by the boys.
Here we conclude our article. Stay tuned for the latest updates!!