How to Crack Compulsory Language Paper in IAS Mains 2017: On June 18, Lakhs of aspirants appeared for IAS Prelims Exam to get recruited into the prestigious Indian Administrative Services (IAS). The result is yet to be announced and the aspirants have started preparing the next rounds.
Now, for the next hurdle viz. IAS Mains, you need to prepare proficiently keeping all of the papers in mind.
Compulsory Language paper is one which can not be taken lightly. Failing the compulsory language paper is perhaps the single greatest setback that a candidate can have in IAS Mains exam. So, to help you crack the compulsory language paper with ease, we have come up with this article focusing on how to crack compulsory language paper, the types of questions asked, and some preparation tips for the same.
How to Crack Compulsory Language Paper in IAS Mains 2017
The IAS Mains examination tests your language skills separately as well. You must qualify in two different languages by securing 25% marks in each – one is English and the other is a vernacular/ Indian language of your choice. The Compulsory Language paper is of qualifying nature and there are no particular marks assigned to them in IAS Mains exam. If you fail, you do not get to progress any further in the IAS race.
The papers on Indian languages and English are of Matriculation or Equivalent Standard. However, the standard of the papers is significantly tougher for most of the aspirants who appear for the first time. So, you must have a fair idea of the type of questions and the nature of the compulsory paper.
Questions are usually of the following types:
- Comprehension of given passages.
- Précis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- Short Essay
- Translation from English to the Indian language and vice-versa (for Indian language).
As the IAS mains exam date is only a few months away, you can not neglect other papers. So, you must incorporate at most one week’s time for the compulsory language paper. The strategy should be to keep in touch with both the languages of your choice on an ongoing basis, without compromising on your core subjects.
Have a look at some of these preparation tips in order to crack compulsory language paper of IAS mains.
Preparation Tips to Crack Compulsory Language Paper
Usually, people who have been schooled in one of the languages as their primary medium would tend to have sufficient grip of that language. For example- Students of English medium schooling will have sufficient English language skills but for Hindi Medium Students, it will be a tedious task. Hence, you must take help from these tips to crack compulsory language paper of IAS Mains:
- Read the newspaper in both the languages. Your focus should be on studying the vocabulary, usage, grammar, construction, spellings, etc. You would be reading the newspaper in one or the other language for General Studies preparation. Read one in your vernacular for 10-15 mins a day.
- Practice the original question papers for the last few (5-10 years) in both the languages. Find out your weak areas and work on them. Do 1-2 papers of each language in a month, till you are confident.
- Revisit your old school textbooks to revise basic grammar and spelling rules. Practice things like changing sentences from active to passive, direct to indirect speech, compound to complex, etc. and vice versa.
- Brush up on prepositions and punctuation rules and all other elementary grammar rules.
- For your vernacular paper, practice translations.
- Practice précis and essay writing in the language which you are weak in.
- Get some writing practice to improve the flow of writing, as well as embarrassing glitches such as failing to remember common spellings.
Apart from these tips, you must remember that your marks will depend on the answer you write.
Let’s switch to our last section of the article which will help you write good answers for the IAS Mains exam.
Answer Writing Tips For Compulsory Language Paper
Writing effective answers in IAS Mains exam is very important for every aspirant. While writing essays or letter, you need to keep a few things in mind. To help you crack compulsory language paper, we have a list of some answer writing tips. Have a look at these:
- Scan the paper and start from the questions that you find the easiest to attempt.
- Your answers need to be structured so that the examiner has a linear logical flow while reading it. This will ensure better marks. Practice writing answers as it will help you to structure your answers on-the-go during the exam.
- Beware of lengthy questions that offer you paltry marks. These are to be attempted last if time permits.
- Give examples to reinforce your points which will add weight to your answer.
- For precis and essay writing questions, mention only the essential points and matter. You do not need to overdo your answers.
- Learn to write the answers within the time frame. For example, a 20 marks question should be allotted not more than 12 minutes.
- Keep calm and vigilant and do your best.
We hope this article provides you with useful information on how to crack compulsory language in IAS Mains examination 2017. Stay connected for more information regarding UPSC Civil Services Exam Recruitment 2017. To excel in Civil Services Examination, Download the Best IAS Exam Preparation App for free.