UPSC IAS and RPSC RAS are the two most coveted competitive examinations in the country, with millions of aspirants targeting lucrative positions in the government services. The purpose of both the exams is to recruit candidates for the post of higher administrative services. The point of difference being, the union public service commission recruits candidates for services throughout the country and the Rajasthan public service commission recruits for administrative assistance with the state of Rajasthan.
Overview of RPSC RAS and UPSC IAS
UPSC IAS: The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is a national-level competitive exam conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to various Civil Services of the Government of India, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS). It is one of the most esteemed and toughest exams in the country, with a success rate of less than 0.01 per cent.
RPSC RAS: The Rajasthan Public Service Commission conducts the state-level exam to recruit candidates for various administrative level posts in the Rajasthan government, including the Rajasthan Administrative Services. Around five lakh candidates applied for the RPSC in 2020 for 79 RAS posts making it highly competitive.
Differences between RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination
We will be discussing the differences between the exams based on the following aspects.
- Age Limit of Applicants
- Exam Type
- Exam Pattern of Prelims and Mains Paper
Let us talk about each aspect in a detailed format to know more about RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services examination.
RAS and IAS: Age Limit of Applicants
There is a significant difference in the age limit of the applicants that can apply for the exam. Please check the below tables for details.
|UPSC IAS||Candidate age should be between 21 to 32 years|
|RPSC RAS||Candidate age should be between 21 to 35 years|
Note: Age relaxation is provided in both the exams to the applicants as per the categories in accordance with the government guidelines.
The higher age limit in RPSC helps more applicants to apply for the vacancies.
RAS and IAS: Difference in Exam Type
There are a few significant differences in exam type of RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services exams.
- In RPSC RAS Examination, most of the questions are centred on the State of Rajasthan whereas, in UPSC Civil Services Examination, the questions are centred around the National and International level events.
- RPSC RAS is the Highest Administrative Recruitment Examination of Rajasthan State whereas, the UPSC IAS is the Highest Administrative Recruitment Examination of the country.
RAS and IAS: Differences in Exam Pattern
The below section discussed the primary differences in the exam pattern of UPSC IAS and RPSC RAS.
UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE)
The exam is divided into three phases, as listed below.
- Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
- Mains Examination (Subjective)
- UPSC IAS Interview
Recommended: IAS Prelims – Solve Papers
UPSC IAS Prelims Exam Pattern
The structure for Preliminary Exam for UPSC IAS is as follows:
|Paper I||General Studies||2 hours||200 marks|
|Paper-II||Civil Services Aptitude Test||2 hours||200 marks|
UPSC IAS Mains Exam Pattern
The UPSC Mains examination consists of nine papers concluded over 5-7 days. Two of the exams are qualifying in nature, and the rest are based on merit. The details of the exams are as follows.
|Paper A||Compulsory Indian language||3 hours||300|
|Paper B||English||3 hours||300|
|Paper I||Essay||3 hours||250|
|Paper II||General Studies I||3 hours||250|
|Paper III||General Studies II||3 hours||250|
|Paper IV||General Studies III||3 hours||250|
|Paper V||General Studies IV||3 hours||250|
|Paper VI||Optional I||3 hours||250|
|Paper VII||Optional II||3 hours||250|
- IAS Prelims 2021 – How to Prepare for Indian History: Read
- IAS Prelims 2021 – How to Prepare for Indian Polity: Read
- IAS Prelims 2021 – How to Prepare for Indian Economy: Read
- IAS Prelims 2021 – How to Prepare for Ecology and Biodiversity: Read
- IAS Prelims 2021 – How to Prepare for Science and Technology: Read
- IAS Prelims 2021 – How to Prepare for Geography: Read
RPSC RAS Exam Pattern
Similar to the UPSC, the RPSC exam is divided into three phases, as listed below.
- Preliminary Examination (Objective)
- Mains Examination (Subjective)
- RPSC RAS Interview
RPSC RAS Prelims Exam Pattern
|Exam Section||Marks||Exam Duration|
|General Knowledge||200||3 hours|
RPSC RAS Mains Exam Pattern
|Paper||Subject||Exam Duration||RPSC RAS Main Exam Marks|
|Paper I||General Studies-I||3 Hours||200|
|Paper II||General Studies-II||3 Hours||200|
|Paper III||General Studies-III||3 Hours||200|
|Paper IV||General Hindi and General English||3 Hours||200|
Differences between RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services mains exams.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there is a separate essay paper. However, there is no such paper in RPSC RAS Examination.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there are separate qualifying exams for English and the selected Regional Language, whereas, in RPSC RAS Exam, there is a single paper of 200 marks in which Hindi and English questions are asked.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there are four papers of General Studies having 250 marks each. On the other hand, in RPSC RAS Examination, only three papers are having 200 marks each.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there are two papers of optional subjects. However, there are no such papers in RPSC RAS Examination.
To enhance the knowledge base for IAS and RPS exams, applicants should read articles on Indian History, Polity, Economy, Ecology, Geography and Science and Technology.
We hope this article helps understand the differences between UPSC IAS and RPSC RAS exams. Applicants can keep checking this section for the latest updates on the government exams.