Before we begin pointing out some major differences between RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination, let’s get one thing straight. It goes without saying that UPSC Civil Services Examination is the most prestigious as well as competitive examination of our country. But, RPSC RAS (Rajasthan Administrative Services) Examination happens to be the central recruitment examination to most prestigious government jobs in the State of Rajasthan. So, let us point our some key differences between RPSC RAS and Civil Services Examination and understand what makes both of them such high valued tests.
Differences between RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination
For the consideration of all aspirants appearing in either of the recruitment examinations, the major differences between RAS and IAS will be in the following aspects.
- Age Limit of Applicants
- Exam Type
- Exam Pattern of Prelims and Mains Paper
Let us talk about each aspect in a detailed format to know more about both RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination.
1. RAS and IAS: Difference in Age Limit of Applicants
One of the most central differences between RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination is at the application level. There is a significant age limit differentiation when we compare both exams.
- The Age Limit set for UPSC CSE Aspirant is between 21 to 32 Years.
- The Age Limit set for RPSC RAS Aspirant is between 21 to 35 Years.
Note: Age relaxation is applicable in terms of reserved categories and PWD in accordance with the norms stated by the Government in both the cases.
Hence, we can see that candidates in the upper age limit will be quite prevalent in RPSC RAS Examination in comparison with UPSC Civil Services Examination.
2. RAS and IAS: Difference in Exam Type
There are a few major differences in terms of exam type of RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination.
- In RPSC RAS Examination, most of the questions are based on the State of Rajasthan whereas for UPSC Civil Services Examination, most questions are centred around National and International Level.
- Apart from that, RPSC RAS is a State Level Examination conducted by Rajasthan Public Service Commission and UPSC CSE is a Central Level Examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission.
- RPSC RAS is the Highest Administrative Recruitment Examination of the State of Rajasthan whereas the IAS is the Highest Administrative Recruitment Examination of our country.
Hence, we can clearly see that both examinations are different from each other.
3. RAS and IAS: Difference in Exam Pattern of Papers
UPSC Civil Services Examination or simply IAS Examination has a three stage selection process, namely CSAT (Prelims), Mains and Interview.
Although the number of stages for RPSC RAS Examination is also the same but the set of question papers is different.
IAS Prelims: Civil Services Examination (Preliminary) Stage, also known as CSAT comprises of two papers:
Recommended: IAS Prelims – Solve Papers
- General Studies
- General Aptitude
The total time allotted to solve IAS Prelims is 4 hours with 200 questions to solve.
RPSC RAS Prelims: There is only one single paper which contains questions on both General Studies and General Aptitude. The total time allotted to solve IAS Prelims is 3 hours with 150 questions to solve.
Apart from that, Questions in RAS Preliminary Examination are very state specific. Questions will be asked from History, Geography, Polity and Economy and also, History of Rajasthan, Geography of Rajasthan, Polity of Rajasthan and Economy of Rajasthan in specific terms.
Now turning our attention towards RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination, these are the major differences.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there is a separate essay paper. There is no such paper in RPSC RAS Examination.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there are separate qualifying exams for English and the selected Regional Language whereas, in RPSC RAS Exam, there is a single paper of 200 marks in which Hindi covers 120 marks and English covers 80 marks.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there are four papers of General Studies having 250 marks each. In RPSC RAS Examination there are only three papers having 200 marks each.
- In UPSC Civil Services Examination, there are two papers of a selected optional subject. There are no such papers in RPSC RAS Examination.
- In RAS Examination, GS Mains paper contains topics from Mathematics, Reasoning and Statistics. However, there is no such thing in UPSC CSE.
To enhance your grasp over multiple concepts, you can read the following articles on how to prepare for Indian History, Polity, Economy, Ecology, Geography and Science and Technology.
- IAS Prelims 2016 – How to Prepare for Indian History: Read
- IAS Prelims 2016 – How to Prepare for Indian Polity: Read
- IAS Prelims 2016 – How to Prepare for Indian Economy: Read
- IAS Prelims 2016 – How to Prepare for Ecology and Biodiversity: Read
- IAS Prelims 2016 – How to Prepare for Science and Technology: Read
- IAS Prelims 2016 – How to Prepare for Geography: Read
We hope this article helps in understanding the type of papers RPSC RAS and UPSC Civil Services Examination are. Let us know your doubts and queries in the comments section below.