GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2022: The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an All-India Examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee. The National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India is the premier body that regulates the exam. The GATE exam is conducted annually to shortlist students for admission to postgraduate programmes in engineering or science with scholarships and assistantships (MoE). Lakhs of candidates appear for the exam every year, making it competitive and tough to crack.
The GATE 2022 syllabus and other notifications pertaining to the exam have been released by the governing authority on the official website. It is time for the candidates to start preparing to secure admissions for various postgraduate programs in centrally funded Indian institutions. The Gate 2022 will be organised by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. Students can check the links for GATE 2022 details- http://gate.iitkgp.ac.in/
Candidates preparing for GATE Mechanical Engineering must have doubts regarding the latest Gate Mechanical Syllabus. Therefore, this article will provide complete details about the GATE ME syllabus and exam pattern. Candidates preparing for the GATE ME exam must check the GATE Mechanical Engineering Exam Paper Analysis using the below link.
GATE Mechanical Exam Analysis
GATE ME Exam Pattern 2022
Before we head to the GATE Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering, let us have a look at the GATE ME Exam Pattern.
|GATE Exam Mode
|Number of Questions
|Type of Questions
- MCQs- Multiple Choice Questions
- MSQs- Multiple Select Questions
- NAT- Numerical Answer Type
|Number of Sections
- General Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics*
- Subject Specification Section
*For Life Science (XL) Paper, Chemistry will be conducted in place of Engineering Mathematics.
*In XH, Reasoning & Comprehension will be conducted.
|Distribution of Marks
- General Aptitude: 15 Marks
- Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks
- Subject Questions: 72 Marks
Total: 100 Marks
- There is no negative marking in GATE ME 2022
||3 Hours (180 Minutes)
Candidates can check the detailed exam pattern and marking scheme using the below link.
GATE Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme
GATE ME Syllabus 2022
Now that we have understood the latest GATE ME Exam Pattern let us switch our attention to the Mechanical Engineering GATE Syllabus.
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Functions of a single variable, limit, continuity and differentiability, mean value theorems, indeterminate forms; evaluation of definite and improper integrals; double and triple integrals; partial derivatives, total derivative, Taylor series (in one and two variables), maxima and minima, Fourier series; gradient, divergence and curl, vector identities, directional derivatives, line, surface and volume integrals, applications of Gauss, Stokes and Green’s theorems.
- Differential equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear); higher-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients; Euler-Cauchy equation; initial and boundary value problems; Laplace transforms; solutions of heat, wave and Laplace’s equations.
- Complex variables: Analytic functions; Cauchy-Riemann equations; Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula; Taylor and Laurent series.
- Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability, sampling theorems, conditional probability; mean, median, mode and standard deviation; random variables, binomial, Poisson and normal distributions.
- Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations; integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rules; single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
|Applied Mechanics and Design
- Engineering Mechanics: Free-body diagrams and equilibrium; trusses and frames; virtual work; kinematics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies in plane motion; impulse and momentum (linear and angular) and energy formulations, collisions.
- Mechanics of Materials: Stress and strain, elastic constants, Poisson’s ratio; Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain; thin cylinders; shear force and bending moment diagrams; bending and shear stresses; deflection of beams; torsion of circular shafts; Euler’s theory of columns; energy methods; thermal stresses; strain gauges and rosettes; testing of materials with the universal testing machine; testing of hardness and impact strength.
- Theory of Machines: Displacement, velocity and acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms; dynamic analysis of linkages; cams; gears and gear trains; flywheels and governors; balancing of reciprocating and rotating masses; gyroscope.
- Vibrations: Free and forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems, the effect of damping; vibration isolation; resonance; critical speeds of shafts.
- Machine Design: Design for static and dynamic loading; failure theories; fatigue strength and the S-N diagram; principles of the design of machine elements such as bolted, riveted and welded joints; shafts, gears, rolling and sliding contact bearings, brakes and clutches, springs.
|Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences
- Fluid Mechanics: Fluid properties; fluid statics, manometry, buoyancy, forces on submerged bodies, stability of floating bodies; higher-order-control-volume analysis of mass, momentum and energy; fluid acceleration; differential equations of continuity and momentum; Bernoulli’s equation; dimensional analysis; the viscous flow of incompressible fluids, boundary layer, elementary turbulent flow, flow through pipes, head losses in pipes, bends and fittings.
- Heat-Transfer: Modes of heat transfer; one-dimensional heat conduction, resistance concept and electrical analogy, heat transfer through fins; unsteady heat conduction, lumped parameter system, Heisler’s charts; thermal boundary layer, dimensionless parameters in free and forced convective heat transfer, heat transfer correlations for flow over flat plates and through pipes, the effect of turbulence; heat exchanger performance, LMTD and NTU methods; radiative heat transfer, Stefan-Boltzmann law, Wien’s displacement law, black and grey surfaces, view factors, radiation network analysis.
- Thermodynamics: Thermodynamic systems and processes; properties of pure substances, the behaviour of ideal and real gases; zeroth and first laws of thermodynamics, calculation of work and heat in various processes; second law of thermodynamics; thermodynamic property charts and tables, availability and irreversibility; thermodynamic relations.
- Applications: Power Engineering: Air and gas compressors; vapour and gas power cycles, concepts of regeneration and reheat. I.C. Engines: Air-standard Otto, Diesel and dual cycles. Refrigeration and air-conditioning: Vapour and gas refrigeration and heat pump cycles; properties of moist air, psychrometric chart, basic psychrometric processes. Turbomachinery: Impulse and reaction principles, velocity diagrams, Pelton-wheel, Francis and Kaplan turbines.
|Materials, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering
- Engineering Materials: Structure and properties of engineering materials, phase diagrams, heat treatment, stress-strain diagrams for engineering materials.
- Casting, Forming and Joining Processes: Different types of castings, design the patterns, moulds and cores; solidification and cooling; riser and gating design. Plastic deformation and yield criteria; fundamentals of hot and cold working processes; load estimation for bulk (forging, rolling, extrusion, drawing) and sheet (shearing, deep drawing, bending) metal forming processes; principles of powder metallurgy. Principles of welding, brazing, soldering and adhesive bonding.
- Machining and Machine Tool Operations: Mechanics of machining; basic machine tools; single and multi-point cutting tools, tool geometry and materials, tool life and wear; economics of machining; principles of non-traditional machining processes; principles of work holding, design of jigs and fixtures.
- Metrology and Inspection: Limits, fits and tolerances; linear and angular measurements; comparators; gauge design; interferometry; form and finish measurement; alignment and testing methods; tolerance analysis in manufacturing and assembly.
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Basic concepts of CAD/CAM and their integration tools.
- Production Planning and Control: Forecasting models, aggregate production planning, scheduling, materials requirement planning.
- Inventory Control: Deterministic models; safety stock and inventory control systems.
- Operations Research: Linear programming, simplex method, transportation, assignment, network flow models, simple queuing models, PERT and CPM.
GATE ME General Aptitude (GA)
The General Aptitude Section is common for all the papers. The section tests the English language skills and numerical ability of candidates. This section is comparatively easy compared to the Engineering Mathematics and subject-specific questions asked in the GATE ME exam. The section comprises questions from verbal ability and numerical ability.
GATE General Aptitude Syllabus 2022
Check out the detailed syllabus of the GATE General Aptitude section.
Verbal Aptitude – Basic English grammar: tenses, articles, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, verb-noun agreement, and other parts of speech Basic vocabulary: words, idioms, and phrases in context Reading and comprehension Narrative sequencing.
Quantitative Aptitude – Data interpretation: data graphs (bar graphs, pie charts, and other graphs representing data), 2- and 3-dimensional plots, maps, and tables Numerical computation and estimation: ratios, percentages, powers, exponents and logarithms, permutations and combinations, and series Mensuration and geometry Elementary statistics and probability.
Analytical Aptitude – Logic: deduction and induction, Analogy, Numerical relations, and reasoning.
Spatial Aptitude – Transformation of shapes: translation, rotation, scaling, mirroring, assembling, and grouping. Paper folding, cutting, and patterns in 2 and 3 dimensions
Aspirants have an ample amount of time to prepare for the GATE ME 2022. Candidates must check the link to find valuable tips for the preparation and strategy. We hope this article on the latest GATE Mechanical Syllabus provides you with the necessary information. For a comprehensive exam analysis of GATE mechanical engineering, you can head on to this link.
Stay connected for more information regarding GATE 2021. To excel in Engineering Exams, download the Best GATE Exam Preparation App for free.
If you have any doubts or queries, please post them in the comment section below. For better response, post your questions on OnlineTyari Community.