Candidates who are appearing for SSC CGL exam must know its pattern, syllabus and simple tips to crack the exam. The SSC CGL examination comprises 3 Papers i.e. Tier I, II and III. Tier I is an online test paper of 100 multiple-choice questions i.e. General Knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude, General Intelligence and English. The test will be conducted for 100 marks.
In Tier II there will be English Language and comprehension section for 200 marks. Tier III is a pen and paper test that consists of a descriptive type Question paper of 100 marks. It includes Essay/ Precis/ Letter/ Application Writing. Scroll down to know the importance of English in SSC CGL.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern
The most important thing to start the SSC CGL preparation is to understand the SSC CGL exam pattern. Check the table below to know the SSC CGL Exam pattern for Tier-I and Tier-II.
SSC CGL Tier 1 – Exam Pattern
|Subject||No. of Questions||Max. Marks|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
- The total time duration to complete the test is of 60 Minutes (80 minutes for students suffering from disabilities like Visual Handicap and Cerebral Palsy)
- For every correct answer, two marks will be awarded.
- On the other hand for every wrong answer, 0.5 marks will be deducted.
SSC CGL Tier 2 – Exam Pattern
|English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
SSC CGL Tier I English Language Topics
For thorough preparation, smart work is required along with hard work. Let us break –up the matter, topic wise to see how candidates will prepare for it. Candidates can check the table below to understand the average number of questions that will be asked from a particular topic in Tier-I.
|Topic||No. of Questions|
|Idioms and phrases||5|
|One word substitution||7|
SSC CGL Tier II English Language Topics
Candidates can check the table below to understand the average number of questions that will be asked from a particular topic in Tier-II.
|Idioms and phrases||10|
|One word substitution||12|
English Language is considered as one of the most important sections in the SSC CGL selection process and it is also the most scoring section. Scoring in this section is not easy so, you need to do hard work and prepare well.
Go through the previous year CGL Tier I and Tier II question paper, to understand which topic you need to focus on more. Consistency in preparation is very important because English cannot be learnt overnight.
Preparation Tips for SSC CGL English Language
Read the steps below to understand a few tips for preparing English for the staff selection commission:
- First, you need to remember the Grammar Rules. However, you do not need to know all grammar rules after solving previous year papers you can easily understand what kind of question SSC is framing.
- For smart preparation of the SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination, the best method will be to get all the previous question papers and do daily practice.
- English Section in SSC CGL Tier I judges your ability to understand English and Proper Usage of Grammar. For improvement on understanding English Read Newspapers (The Hindu and Economic Times) and Books on Grammar.
- You need to develop a habit to learn new words daily from newspapers, news channels, books etc. It will help you build your own lexicon of essential words.
- Revise, Reflect and Learn from your mistakes. Revision will play an extremely vital role in improving your score in SSC CGL English Language Section.
- It is very important to know your weak areas so that you can pay your special attention to them. Give more time to study subject or topic that you are weak on.
- Maintain a plan for each day to practise topics essential to SSC CGL English Language Section and try to devote at least three hours for English exercise on daily basis.
- Try to maintain class notes by creating summary notes. Spot the key terms and concepts and make sure that you understand them.
- As you all know, time management is an important factor in every competitive examination. Therefore, you need to work on your speed. For solving questions at a faster pace, you have to test yourself on a daily basis by practising Mock Tests and Assessments.
- Hard Work is essential for cracking SSC CGL, but smart work trumps everything. Make sure you are putting your best foot forward.
FAQs on How To Prepare for English Language in SSC CGL
|Q. How many questions will be asked from English Language in SSC CGL Tier-I?|
A. In SSC CGL Tier-I examination 25 questions will be asked.
|Q. How many questions will be asked from English Language in SSC CGL Tier-II? |
A. In SSC CGL Tier-II examination 200 questions will be asked and each question carries one mark.
|Q. Is there a negative marking in SSC CGL?|
A. Yes, there is a negative marking of 0.50 Marks for each wrong answer.
We hope all these preparation tips will prove beneficial for the upcoming SSC CGL Examination. If there are any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section below.
|SSC CGL Recruitment||SSC CGL Application Form|
|SSC CGL Exam Pattern||SSC CGL Syllabus|
|SSC CGL Preparation||SSC CGL Books|
|SSC CGL Previous Year Papers||SSC CGL Salary|
Stay connected for more information regarding SSC Exam. To excel in SSC CGL Examination, download the Best SSC CGL Exam Preparation App for free.
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.