How to Prepare for English Language: SSC CGL examination comprises of Three Papers, Tier I, Tier II and Tier III. The Tier I is an online test paper of 100 multiple-choice question i.e. general Knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude, General Intelligence and English, 25 questions are asked from each section. In tier II there are mainly two papers that are compulsory first is Quantitative Aptitude of 100 questions the other one is of English containing 200 questions. Two other papers are there which are related to Statistics /Economics and General Studies b ut are Post Specific i.e. Only applicable to some post. Tier III is a pen/paper based test that consist of a descriptive type Question paper of 100 marks to be answered in 60 minutes. It includes Essay/Precis/Letter/Application Writing.
Through the structure of the exam, one may conclude the importance of English in SSC CGL. For thorough preparation, smart work is required along with the hard work. Let us break –up the matter, topic wise to see how we will prepare for it.
SSC CGL Tier I English Language Topics
|Topic||Tier I (2014)||Tier I (2015)|
|Idioms and phrases||5||5|
|One word substitution||7||7|
SSC CGL Tier II English Language Topics
|Topic||Tier II (2014)||Tier II (2015)|
|Idioms and phrases||10||10|
|One word substitution||12||12|
English Language considered as one of the most important sections of the Competition Exams but it is also considered as the most scoring section. Scoring in this section is not as easy as you really need to do hard preparation. After analysing 2014 and 2015 CGL Tier I and Tier II examination question paper, you can easily understand which topic you need to be focus. Since English is a language it cannot be learned overnight, consistency is must.
Recommended Product for SSC CGL Tier I (New Pattern):
SSC CGL English Language Preparation Tips
Here we are providing some tips for preparing English for staff selection commission:
1. First, you need to remember the Grammar Rules. However, you do not need to know all grammar rules after solving previous year papers you can easily understand what kind of question SSC is framing.
2. For smart preparation of SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination, the best method will be to get all the previous question papers and do daily practice.
3. English Section in SSC CGL Tier I specially judges your ability to understand English and Proper Usage of Grammar. For improvement on understanding English Read Newspapers (The Hindu and Economic Times) and Books on Grammar.
4. You need to develop a habit to learn new words daily from newspaper, news channels, books etc. It will help you build your own lexicon of essential words.
5. Revise, Reflect and Learn from your mistakes. Revision will play an extremely vital role in improving your score in SSC CGL English Language Section.
6. It is very important to know your weak areas so that you can pay your special attention to them. Give more time to the study of the subject or topic that you are having difficulty with.
7. Maintain a plan for each day to practice topics essential to SSC CGL English Language Section and try to devote at least three hours for English exercise on daily basis.
8. Try to maintain class notes by creating summary notes. Spot the key terms and concepts and make sure that you understand them.
9. As you all know, Time Management is the important factor of every competitive examination. Therefore, you need to work on your speed. For solving questions at a faster pace, you have to test yourself on a daily basis by practice Mock Test and Assessments.
10. Hard Work is essential for cracking SSC CGL, but smart work trumps everything. Make sure you are putting your best foot forward.
We hope all these preparation tips will prove beneficial for the upcoming SSC CGL Examination. If there any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section below.
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.