How to Prepare for SSC CGL Quantitative Aptitude Section Without Coaching: The Staff Selection Commission has officially released SSC CGL (Combined Graduate Level) Recruitment Notification for this year 2018.
When beginning with the preparation for SSC, students face a common dilemma regarding taking a coaching. While academic assistance in the form of coaching can be fruitful to some, it does not work well in all the cases. SSC preparation in a coaching often is time-consuming, hardly relevant, and has a generalizing attitude towards students. However, looking at the tough-to-crack nature of the SSC exam, most students tend to fall for the coaching trap and pay huge sums of money.
Tips to Crack SSC CGL Quant Without Coaching
Quantitative Aptitude for SSC is divided into 2 categories:
For the Arithmetic, there are few chapters that you need to master them. These chapters are the base for the whole arithmetic section.
The chapters are :
(i) Ratio & Proportion: Amongst all the problems that are asked in the quantitative aptitude section of SSC CGL Exam, Ratio and Proportion Problems are the easiest. But the long list of Ratio and Proportion Formulas and the copious amount of calculations needed, often makes them tedious. Hence, All students should start their preparation with this chapter because the ratio is the base of all chapters in arithmetic.
(ii) Percentage: This is a very important chapter because percentage to ratio conversion is often used in chapters like Profit & Loss, Discount, Work & efficiency, Time Speed and Distance.
- Thus, Ratio & Percentage both prepare the base of arithmetic. Students can make a habit of finishing one chapter in 2-3 days. Try to solve as many questions as you can, doesn’t matter from where you are solving. You can refer books, online test series, chapterwise test etc.
- Then they can move to SI & CI, Mixture & Alligation, Partnership, Average, as they are also an application of ratio & Percentage. For Quant arithmetic section complete the whole maths from Kiran book. Now let’s move to advance section.
- For advance section, If you know the basic of geometry then you can become a master of this chapter. If not, students can refer R.D Sharma of a 10th level to build your concepts in Geometry. Learn the rules and necessary theorems.
- Start solving questions of basic level and then move to high-level questions. In mensuration, easy and formula-based questions are asked generally. So, practice all previous year questions. For this students can refer Arun Sharma as SSC has increased the difficulty level in Geometry.
- Questions of Trigonometry, Algebra are either formula related or can be solved by putting the random values. There are many questions that can be solved through options also. So it will be better if you acquire the habit of solving questions through options especially in these two chapters.
- For this, Students can refer books like Lucent mathematics & Kiran Publication.
- And the last part is DI. They are based on general addition, ratio and again percentage based. So, there is nothing like practicing it separately.
In order to excel without coaching, you need to put in a lot of hard work. In order to save your time and money, we bring to you some tips on How to prepare for the Quant Section without coaching classes:
Understand the Exam Pattern
Before start preparing for any exam you need to understand the pattern of each exam. By carefully investigation the exam pattern the candidate will get a clear idea of what to expect in the examination.
Each government job exam for the different post have different exam pattern, so it is important to understand each pattern.
Have a good Study Plan
Candidates who have started to teach themselves for their examination need to make a proper timetable for their regular studies
- You must have a daily timetable. This is the only way to manage the huge syllabus
- Make sure you study more in the morning as compared to night. Morning study helps to learn fast
- Keep time for exercise and proper rest to recharge your body for the required hard work.
This technique will also help in gaining strategy and gives an idea of how to appear for the exam next time.
Step by Step go Through the Competitive Exam Books
This step is vital to understand what is the need for what exams you are preparing. You don’t need too many books as most of the topics are common. So, if you prepare for one exam, you will cover most of the topics and syllabus of the other.
There are thousands of education material available online for the interested candidates. Go online and start practicing.
Time is a very important thing to keep in mind while preparing for any Government Job exam. You need to understand the importance of time of how it plays a big role in your success. You should practice the question paper with a stopwatch and see how much time you gave to each question. It can help immensely and boost your confidence when you will undergo the actual examination.
Attempt Mock tests
Practice a mock test before an exam is important because of the practice they provide. It makes you familiar with the types of questions, exam pattern and most importantly the time management. Managing to finish the exam on time is really challenging
Here we conclude our article. stay tuned for the latest updates on SSC CGL Examination 2018.