Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 4: General Studies 4 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam consists of areas: Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and their problem-solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by them in dealing with society. Questions may utilize the case study approach to determine these aspects.
This seems to be the only paper in which you can try a hand without any specific preparation. Usual discussions on news, analysis of social issues, and behaviour of people in various segments of society helps in developing certain concepts of this particular paper.
Over here we are sharing Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 4. Let us initiate with the first topic.
Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 4 | Attributes and qualities needed to excel in civil services
Civil Service is the steel frame of India and Civil servants constitute the permanent executive of the country. A Civil servant must be devoted and dedicated towards his/ her goal of serving the country. One of the qualities of a Civil servant is to teach people to differentiate what is right and what is wrong especially under high-pressure situations. A corrupt officer can push the development back and it is one of the worst qualities a civil servant can have according to Chanakya. A Civil servant should have various qualities. Most prominent of which are:
- Anonymity: Civil servants work behind the curtain. They assist ministers in formulation and implementation of policies but nowhere their name is mentioned for the same.
- Impartiality: Parties keep on changing with elections. And each party has its own preferences and ideology to guide its policies but civil servants have no specific allegiance to any party. They remain free of bias and work for the larger benefit of all.
- Good Understanding: They should have good ability to understand the public issues.
- Control Power: In any difficult situation like riots, earthquakes, Cyclone etc. , they should have a control power.
- Administration Skills: They should have a skill of administration as a good civil servant.
- A good Presence of mind: They should have the ability to take a decision in a quick way. They should have a presence of mind in any critical situation.
- Well mannered and Disciplined: If a civil servant has the qualities of being well mannered and disciplined then he/ she can make his/ her area disciplined.
- Active and inspiring: They should be active in all phases and must inspire the people to do best for their nation.
- Spirit of Public welfare: Civil servants are guided by public spirit. For them, their work is not a job but a service towards people.
- Against the corruption: They should be against the corruption and try to remove it from the society at their level.
Expected Question: What are the attributes and qualities required to become a good Civil Servant?? Discuss.
Over here we conclude our article on Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 4. Stay tuned with us for the rest of the topic that we will discuss day by day.