How to Prepare for Public Administration for IAS Mains: IAS is a dream opportunity for all the people looking for a secure and reputed job with the responsibility of serving the nation. Union Public Services Commission conducted the IAS Prelims exam on 18 June 2017. The result is yet to be announced by UPSC board.
Selecting the best optional subject for your IAS mains exam seems like a heavy task and it also plays a significant role in your overall score. One should choose the subject wisely and must be able to cover its syllabus along with general studies. Public Administration remains one of the most popular optional papers in UPSC Civil Services exam.
In this article, we will be giving complete information on how to prepare for public administration for IAS mains. We have also recommended some reference books and a few handy tips for your IAS preparation.
How to Prepare for Public Administration Optional for IAS Mains
Public Administration is one of the most popular optional papers in UPSC Civil Services exam. It is regarded as a very comprehensive and deep subject which covers all the aspects of administration. The syllabus for public administration requires a lot of practice and hard work. It covers all the areas of public administration related to the country.
Public Administration – Paper I and II
The paper I of Public Administration mainly consists of Administration, Comparative Public Administration, Structure of Public Organizations, Public Policy, and Theories of Administration.
Whereas Paper II deals with Indian Administration – Evolution of Indian Administration, Constitutional Framework, Union/State Government and Administration, Machinery for Planning, Administration of Law & Order and Welfare Administration. Topics like Financial Administration and Financial Management are common in Paper I and II, which can be studied together.
Recommended Books for Paper I
- Public Administration by Laxmikanth
- New Horizons of Public Administration by Mohit Bhattacharya
- Public Administration by S Polinaidu
- Administrative Thinkers by Prasad and Prasad
- Public Administration and Public Affairs by Nicholas Henry
Recommended Books for Paper II
- Public Administration by Fadia and Fadia
- Indian Public Administration by Rajni Goyal
- Newspapers – The Hindu, Indian Express etc.
- ARC – II (only important topics)
Suggested by elite exam experts, these books will definitely help in improving your knowledge for IAS Public Administration Exam Preparation. Click on the link below to buy Books at the cheapest price.
|Recommended IAS Best Books||Buy Now|
|Vajiram & Ravi Public Administration Class Notes||Click here|
|Vajiram & Ravi Public Administration Printed Notes||Click here|
|Public Administration Printed Notes by Mohanty Sir||Click here|
|Public Administration Class Notes by Mohanty Sir||Click here|
|Public Administration Class Notes by Pavan Kumar||Click here|
Students have to go through these books to accumulate the old knowledge together so that they did not find any difficulty or lose hope in attempting the exam. These practice sets comprise questions from different topics which can help you to add feathers in your cap.
Now, let’s head to our next section of how to prepare for public administration viz. the preparation strategy and tips for cracking the examination.
Preparation Strategy for Public Administration Optional
First and foremost, you need to be well aware of the syllabus for the particular subject. If you have some previous educational background, then it is most definitely a plus point. Other than that, follow these tips which will help you prepare for public administration in a better way.
- Before you even think of buying your Public Administration books, you must know the syllabus first. Because syllabus gives you an overview of the topics which will be covered in the exam. Hence, knowing the syllabus gives you an in-depth idea about the subject. And helps you to prepare for critical and non-critical topics accordingly.
- Just before you start with the books, make sure you study and analyze patterns from previous 10 years question papers. It helps you focus more on critical topics from the start.
- While you go through different topics and newspapers, don’t forget to take down short notes, so that you can revise them later easily.
- Writing thoughtfully structured answers requires in-depth knowledge on a given topic. Take up an old question paper and practice writing answers as if you are in an actual test. It is also imperative to practice writing within the prescribed word limit.
Apart from the tips mentioned above, you need to incorporate good content in your answers. In order to score high, you need to practice writing answers.
For that, head over to our last section of the article for a few answer writing tips for public administration subject.
Answer Writing Tips for Public Administration Optional
Here are some practical tips which will help you write good answers for your public administration paper of the IAS Mains exam:
- There are no separate strategies for Paper-1 and Paper-2. In both the cases, you will need to give Indian examples, write logically, and present arguments from both sides. Once you internalize the subject, answer writing will not require a lot of effort. But, if you have read the subject only once, you may face problems in presenting your viewpoint logically.
- Do not write general answers as you write in GS Paper. Use administrative terminology from the subject. Quote thinkers and theories in your answers and explore the issue on administrative lines.
- Try relating your answer with the basic theories, contemporary and cross-cultural practices.
- Try to quote committees like Punchhi, 2nd ARC, Sarkaria in your answers wherever possible.
- You can write either in paragraphs or points. A mixture of points and paragraphs written under sub-headings give a structure to your answer and make the job of the examiner easier.
- Finally, do not write in a complicated language. Use Simple English in an administrative style with short sentences covering relevant examples after every one-two paragraphs.
- UPSC is not looking for scholars of Public Administration. You should only state the concepts clearly on paper and take a fair stand on issues after giving appropriate arguments and evidence from both sides.
We hope this article provides you with useful information on how to prepare for Public Administration Optional for IAS Mains examination 2017.