How to Prepare for UPPSC GS Paper-1: Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission, also known as UPPSC has officially released UPPSC Recruitment 2017 notification for Combined state/ Upper subordinate services examination. UPPSC has announced 251 vacancies for Combined Service posts all over the state for the year 2017. UPPSC Application process has begun and the last date to submit online application is 27 March, 2017.
General Studies (GS) in Civil Services Exam is always considered to be a tough nut to crack. Many a times, this happens because of the total lack of understanding of the syllabus and the way in which questions are being asked in the exam. GS can be handled with ease, if meticulous planning is there, both during the time of preparation and during the time of the exam. Here we are going provide you some tips on how to prepare for UPPSC Paper-I. But first let us give you a brief view of the exam pattern.
UPPSC Prelims Exam Pattern 2017
Let us go through Exam pattern & structure of the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission Examination.
UPPSC Prelims competitive examination comprise three successive stages viz :
- Preliminary Examination (Objective Type & Multiple choice)
- Main Examination (Conventional Type, i.e. Written examination)
- Viva- Voce (Personality Test).
Here we will only focus on UPPSC Prelims exam pattern. Below mentioned is the exam pattern for UPSC Prelims
UPPSC Prelims Exam Pattern 2017
The Preliminary examination will consist of two compulsory papers. Candidates have to print their answers on OMR sheets. The papers will carry 200 marks each and the total duration to solve the said exams is two hours. Both the papers will carry objective Type MCQ format.
|General Studies Paper I||200|
|General Studies Paper II||200|
- Paper-II of the Preliminary Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
- It is mandatory for the Candidates to appear in both the papers of Preliminary Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he does not appear in both in papers.
- The merit of the Candidates will be determined on the basis of marks obtained in Paper-I of the Preliminary Examination.
General studies Paper I & Paper II :
The papers shall be 200 marks each and of two hours duration. Both the papers shall be objective Type & multiple choice in which there shall be 150-100 questions Respectively. The timing of paper I will be from 9.30 to 11.30 A.M. and paper II from 2.30 to 4.30 P.M.
Now you are familiar with the exam pattern of UPPSC Prelims, let us move to our main topic on how to prepare for UPPSC GS Paper-1.
How to Prepare for UPPSC GS Paper-1: Tips & Tricks
Under this section we will discuss the crucial points for UPPSC GS Paper-1, It is necessary that you follow all these study tactics and tips in order to strengthen your overall prowess over UPPSC GS Paper-1
How to Prepare for UPPSC GS Paper-1: Step wise preparation tips
- Current affairs should be the top priority for Prelims, as they always ask approximately 30 questions from current affairs alone.
- After current affairs, the next step is to prepare for History, as 25 questions are asked from History alone.
- Number third on the list should be Science and Technology, as they always ask approximately 25 questions from Science alone.
- Fourth should be Geography and Environment, as they have always more than 25 questions from Geography and Environment section alone.
- Number five should be questions on Polity, as they always ask approximately 20 questions from polity in prelims examination.
- Next is the questions on Economics as they always ask approximately 17 questions in prelims examination based on economics.
- Last but not the least, questions based on Uttar Pradesh and General Knowledge, recently number of questions from Uttar Pradesh has reduced drastically in prelims examination.
It is important to follow the above steps in order to score good marks in upcoming examination. To ace in exam, it is also important to have a good study material. Let us move further with the must have study material for UPPSC GS Paper-1
Must Have Books for UPPSC GS Paper-1
Choosing the best study material for any exam becomes a tedious task. One must choose UPPSC GS Paper-1 Study material for Exam preparation wisely. Now, let’s have a look at our recommended books for each subject.
For Current events of national and international importance
News papers for national events are Hindu, Times of India, Economic Times and India Today. Pratiyogita Darpan or Ghatna Chakra would be very handy.
For History of India and Indian National Movement
Class 9th, 10th, 11 and 12th History NCERT Books. History of modern india by Bipin Chandra is a good edition which you can prefer to prepare for your upcoming examination.
For cultural questions, candidates can take the help of books of NBT on Indian Music, Dance, Drama, Painting etc.
For Indian and World Geography
Class 9th, 10th, 11 and 12th Geography (old editions) NCERT Books. You can also prefer Geography of india by Majid Hussain.
In addition as map related questions are being asked, a good atlas preferably Oxford School Atlas or Orient Longman can be of good help.
Indian Polity and Governance
Class 9th, 10th, 11 and 12th Political Science NCERT Books. Other books for reference The Constitution of India – from Publication Division (Pocket book), Indain Polity by M laxmikant.
Refer the above recommended book to ace in exam.
Economic and Social Development
Class 9th, 10th, 11 and 12th Economics NCERT Books.
Other books for reference Indian Economy by Dutt and Sundharam, Yearly Economic Survey published Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India.
Questions will be on everyday general application and understanding of science. NCERT books of classes 6th to 10th is the best source of study material for this subject. Also, look through some of the chapters from NCERT 11th and 12th Class on Applications & Science.
Environment and Ecology
Shankar IAS’s Environment, Environmental Studies For Undergraduate Courses by Erach Bharucha, Ecology and environment by P. D. Sharma.
Prefer the above recommended book to maximize your score in the upcoming examination.
Uttar Pradesh GK
There will be questions related to the development of Mountains, rivers, climate, Flora and Fauna, Minerals transportation in the Geography of Uttarakhand. It will also have questions relating to important dynasties of U.K., Contribution of important dynasties in the History & Culture of Uttarakhand.
You must study from reference books covering information on Uttarakhand General Studies properly.
Lucent GK (This book has collection of factual information, UPPSC questions are mostly factual in nature, and so this book is very useful for UPPSC.)
Here we conclude our article on How to Prepare for UPPSC GS Paper-1 Examination 2017. For more information, Stay connected for more information regarding UPPSC Recruitment 2017. To excel in State Examinations, download the Best State Exam Preparation App for free.