How to Prepare for IBPS PO English Language 2018: Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) will be conducting written examination for the recruitment of Probationary Officer/ Management Trainee vacancies in Public Sector Banks.
This year IBPS PO examination will be conducted in the month of October. All the candidates have started preparing for the exam. To help them, we are providing some crucial tips and tricks to be followed to prepare the IBPS PO English Language Section. But first, let us provide you a brief view of the exam pattern.
Overall Preparation Strategy for IBPS PO English Language Section
The Preliminary Examination for IBPS CWE PO/ MT will be a Computer-Based Test (CBT) and the pattern will be Objective MCQ type. As per the official IBPS PO exam Pattern, For the first time, IBPS has introduced sectional timings. There will be 100 questions in total from 3 sections – English Language, Numerical Ability and Reasoning Ability.
The IBPS PO English language section paper is taken in order to test a candidate’s understanding and hold over the language. One can easily score good marks in IBPS PO English Language section if one’s basic concepts are clear. Based on previous year IBPS PO Prelims analysis, there were 30 Questions asked from English Language Section. The question-wise break up for IBPS PO English Language Section was as follows:
- Reading Comprehension – 8 Questions
- Cloze Test – 7 Questions
- Spotting the Error – 10 Questions
- Parajumbles – 5 Questions
Here we are giving you some important topics out of these which will surely help you prepare for IBPS PO English & maximize your score
- Reading Comprehension
- Para Jumble
- Cloze test
- Sentence correction (Error spotting, Phrase Replacement)
- Sentence completion
- Phrase Replacement
Based on priority, we will discuss various tips on how to commence your preparation for IBPS PO English Language Paper:
Preparation Tips for Reading Comprehension
IBPS PO English Language Section is predominantly filled with RC questions. Hence, to secure good marks, you need to be a pro at solving reading comprehension question.
- Read the entire passage carefully and then read all the questions.
- Do not try to attempt questions straight away without reading and only referring to the passage for each question. Read the passage first and then answer the referenced questions.
- Synonyms and Antonyms in IBPS PO English Language Section, refer to the line in which they are mentioned and try to infer their meaning by analyzing the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
Preparation Tips for Cloze Passage
An IBPS candidate with a sound understanding of English Grammar and basic sentence structuring can easily solve Cloze Passage questions in IBPS PO English Language Section.
- Read the passage and go according to the flow.
- Cloze Test is considered to be one of the easiest questions, only if attempted properly. Though it can prove to be complicated as one error can cost you a lot of marks as all the blanks that are to be filled are inter-related.
- If you are confused or are unsure about any particular blank that you have to fill, just avoid it and go for the next one. If you are able to fill in the next blank, then you can come back to the previous one and try again by co-relating.
Preparation Tips for Vocabulary Section
The Vocabulary section may take a lot of time. Moreover, you need a lot of practice and revision to master this particular section. Don’t try to learn too much in less time, it is difficult to retain. Try to refer to various English papers and read articles from decent magazines. This will help you improve your vocab.
- Idioms and Phrases: Try to understand the meaning and decipher by referring to the vocabulary words. But a figurative meaning can be different to a logical one. So, try to understand the context. You can also map them in your mind to retain it for a long time.
- One-Word Substitution: Try to fill in all the given options and understand the meaning of the sentence and evaluate if it makes sense.
- Spelling Correction: There is no formula to this, one can only master it by constant practice. Practice with the help of mock tests and question banks regularly.
Preparation Tips for Spotting the Error
- Believe in yourself and eliminate options by reading the sentence after filling in the options mentally and asking yourself “Does this sound right?”.
Preparation Tips for Para jumbles
- Analyze the theme of each para jumble and then try to restore the paragraph in the right order.
- Try to synchronize the course of events in the form of activities based on logic so as to what is done first followed by others.
- Try to spot articles (a, an, the), connectives, pronouns (they, he, she, etc.) and adjectives. These will help you to deduce the sequence of events.
Preparation Tips for Phrase Replacements
We hope this article on ‘How to Prepare for IBPS PO English Language 2018 helps you in cracking the IBPS CWE PO/ MT Recruitment Examination.
Try our Recommended FREE Mock Test & Prepare for IBPS PO English Language section efficiently
We hope this article on ‘How to Prepare for IBPS PO English 2018 helps you in cracking the IBPS CWE PO/ MT Recruitment Examination.