How to Prepare for SSC CPO Mains English Language 2017: The Staff Selection Commission conducts the SSC CPO SI examination to recruit candidates for Sub-Inspector in Delhi Police & Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs), Assistant Sub Inspector in CISF, Inspector posts and Assistant Sub Inspector post. Paper-I of the SSC CPO Examination was held From 1st July to 7th July 2017.
As of now, candidates under SSC CPO 2017 Recruitment will be selected for further rounds on the basis of their performance in the Paper II.This is a golden chance for the aspirants who are looking for a government job. In this article, we will be guiding SSC candidates on how to prepare for the SSC CPO Mains English Language section.
SSC CPO Mains English Language Topics
The SSC CPO Mains English Language section comprises 200 questions carrying one mark each. The total time to solve the English Language paper is 2 hours. However, the difficulty level is higher than that of Tier I. Also, the candidates must note that for every incorrect answer 0.25 marks will be deducted.
The question-wise break up for SSC CPO Mains (previous years) English Language Section was as follows:
|Topic||Tier II (2015)||Tier II (2016)|
|Idioms and phrases||10||9|
|One word substitution||12||12|
How to Prepare for SSC CPO Mains English Language 2017
Based on priority, we will discuss various tips on how to commence your preparation for SSC CPO Mains English Language Paper
Preparation Tips for Reading Comprehension
SSC CPO Mains English Language Section is predominantly filled with RC questions. Hence, to secure good marks, you need to be a pro at solving reading comprehension question.
- Read the entire passage carefully and then read all the questions.
- Do not try to attempt questions straight away without reading and only referring to the passage for each question. Read the passage first and then answer the referenced questions.
- For Synonyms and Antonyms in SSC CPO Mains English Language Section, refer to the line in which they are mentioned and try to infer their meaning by analyzing the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
Preparation Tips for Cloze Passage
An SSC candidate with a sound understanding of English Grammar and basic sentence structuring can easily solve Cloze Passage questions in SSC CPO Mains English Language Section.
- Read the passage and go according to the flow.
- Cloze Test is considered to be one of the easiest questions, only if attempted properly. Though it can prove to be complicated as one error can cost you a lot of marks as all the blanks that are to be filled are inter-related.
- If you are confused or are unsure about any particular blank that you have to fill, just avoid it and go for the next one. If you are able to fill in the next blank, then you can come back to the previous one and try again by co-relating.
Preparation Tips for Vocabulary Section
The Vocabulary section may take a lot of time. Moreover, you need a lot of practice and revision to master this particular section. Don’t try to learn too much in less time, it is difficult to retain. Try to refer to various English papers and read articles from decent magazines. This will help you improve your vocab.
- Idioms and Phrases: Try to understand the meaning and decipher by referring to the vocabulary words. But a figurative meaning can be different to a logical one. So, try to understand the context. You can also map them in your mind to retain it for a long time.
- One-Word Substitution: Try to fill in all the given options and understand the meaning of the sentence and evaluate if it makes sense.
- Spelling Correction: There is no formula to this, one can only master it by constant practice. Practice with the help of mock tests and question banks regularly.
Preparation Tips for Spotting the Error
- Believe in yourself and eliminate options by reading the sentence after filling in the options mentally and asking yourself “Does this sound right?”.
Here we conclude section-wise preparation tips, now let’s move to the overall SSC CPO Mains Preparation tips.
Overall Preparation Tips for SSC CPO Mains 2017
It is necessary that you follow all these study tactics and tips in order to strengthen your overall prowess over English Language Section. Here we are providing some tips for SSC CPO Mains English preparing for staff selection commission:
- First, you need to remember the Grammar Rules. However, you do not need to know all grammar rules after solving previous year papers you can easily understand what kind of question SSC is framing.
- For the smart preparation of SSC CPO Mains Level Examination, the best method will be to get all the previous question papers and do daily practice.
- Revise, Reflect and Learn from your mistakes. The revision will play an extremely vital role in improving your score in SSC CPO Mains English Language Section.
- It is very important to know your weak areas so that you can pay your special attention to them. Give more time to the study of the subject or topic that you are having difficulty with.
- Maintain a plan for each day to practice topics essential to SSC CPO Mains English Language Section and try to devote at least three hours for English exercise on daily basis
- Try to maintain class notes by creating summary notes. Spot the key terms and concepts and make sure that you understand them.
- English Section in SSC CPO Mains especially judges your ability to understand English and Proper Usage of Grammar. For improvement on understanding English Read Newspapers and Books on Grammar.
- You need to develop a habit to learn new words daily from newspapers, news channels, books etc. It will help you to build up your own lexicon of essential words.
- As you all know, Time Management is the important factor of every competitive examination. Therefore, you need to work on your speed. For solving questions at a faster pace, you have to test yourself on a daily basis by practice Mock Test and Assessments.
- Hard Work is essential for cracking SSC CPO Mains, but smart work trumps everything. Make sure you are putting your best foot forward
We hope this article on ‘How to Prepare for SSC CPO Mains English Language 2017 helps you in cracking the upcoming Recruitment Examination.
Preparing for SSC CPO Paper II??
Go through our article on how to write SSC CPO Paper II, It will definitely help in improving your knowledge for your upcoming exam: