How to Prepare for UGC NET English Subject: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducts the National Eligibility Test (NET) for the post of Assistant Professor or Junior Research Fellowship in Indian universities and colleges. CBSE will be conducting UGC NET exam on 5th November 2017 in certain cities across India.
This article will help candidates to prepare for the upcoming UGC NET examination. The Subject code for UGC NET English subject is 30. Let us now elaborate our topic: How to Prepare for UGC NET English Subject.
UGC NET English Subject Exam Pattern
UGC NET Exam pattern is definitely necessary to answer every candidate’s most common question i.e How to Prepare for UGC NET English Subject. Let us go through the UGC NET English Subject Exam Pattern of Paper I, Paper II and Paper III.
|Paper/ Session||Marks||Number of Question||Duration|
|I||100||60||1¼ Hours (09:30 A.M. to
|II||100||50||1¼ Hours (11:15 A.M. to
|III||150||75||2½ Hours (02:00 P.M. to
- Paper-1 will cover 60 questions of 100 marks.
- Paper-2 will cover 50 questions of 100 Marks.
- Paper-3 will cover 75 questions of 150 Marks.
All the three paper will be held on a single day i.e on 5th November 2017. Paper I will be common for all candidates whereas Paper II and Paper III will cover questions on the concerned subject.
To read the whole syllabus and sample questions of Paper II and Paper III for UGC NET English Subject, refer to the link- http://www.ugc.ac.in/net/syllabuspdf/30.pdf
UGC NET English Important Topics
Given below is a list of some important selected topics for UGC NET English subject which will help candidates in covering syllabus of Paper II and Paper III.
Important Topics for English Paper II
- Chaucer to Shakespeare
- Jacobean to Restoration Periods
- Augustan Age: 18th Century Literature
- Romantic Period
- Victorian Period
- Modern Period
- Contemporary Period
Try to align yourself with these important topics to grab a lead over UGC NET English Subject Paper II.
Important Topics for English Paper III
- Indian writing in English and Indian Literature in English translation.
- American and other non-British English Literature.
- Literary Theory and Criticism.
- History of English Language, English Language Teaching.
- Contemporary Theory.
- Modern British literature.
- Contemporary British literature.
These are some important topics for UGC NET English subject Paper III. Candidates need to focus on these topics for better results.
Let us now highlight some important reading material and topic source for UGC NET English Paper II and Paper III.
Reading Material and Preparation Source
- Hudson– A History of English Literature.
- Moody & Lovett– A Complete History of English Literature.
- Michael Alexander– A Palgrave History of English Literature.
- Andrew Sanders– An Oxford History of English Literature.
- Patricia Waugh- Contemporary Critical Theory.
- Peter Barry- Beginning Theory.
- M.H. Abrams – A Glossary of Literary Terms.
- An Outline History of English Literature by W.H. Hudson.
- A Critical handbook of literature in English by Shubhamoy Das.
- History of English Literature by W.J. Long.
- History of English Literature by R.D. Trivedi.
- History of English Literature by Edward Albert.
- History of English Literature by T.Singh.
- Literary Terms by M.H. Abrams.
- Literary Terms by Cuddon.
- An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory by Peter Barry.
- Contemporary Literary and Cultural Theory by P.K.Nayar.
- An Introduction to English Criticism by B.Prasad.
- English Literary Objective Questions by Amita Rowley Thaman.
- A Textbook for Objective Questions in English Literature by Manoj Kumar.
Go through these books to enhance your problem-solving skills and clear all doubts regarding How to Prepare for UGC NET English Subject. Let us now move to the nucleus of this article i.e How to Prepare for UGC NET English: Important Tips.
How to Prepare UGC NET English: Tips to Remember
It is time to list up some important tips for How to prepare UGC NET English Section. These important tips will help aspirants in achieving the desired goal.
- Follow a methodical pattern of studying for maximum benefits.
- Study every topic in detail. Minimum five questions from each topic are expected to come in UGC NET English Paper.
- Go through the Exam pattern thoroughly. It is important to answer all the questions in total that you can solve rather than answering more as the only first attempted questions will be evaluated regardless the correctness of the later ones.
- Practice as many sample papers/ previous year papers as you can to gain speed and accuracy.
- Prepare a study schedule that includes as many varied topics as you can and prepare accordingly.
- Analyse sample paper/previous paper soon after completing it to identify and improve your weak areas.
- Don’t get stuck on a single question. If you don’t know the answer to a particular question, go ahead and try to solve other questions.
Candidates are requested to follow these tips in UGC NET English Subject preparation to strengthen their chance of getting shortlisted. Candidates are advised to follow these tips and prepare accordingly. Here we conclude our article on How to Prepare for UGC NET English Subject.