Prepare for UPSC CDS General Knowledge 2016: Combines Defence Services Examination is a national level entrance exam conducted by UPSC twice every year. UPSC CDS is conducted for recruitment to Indian Defence forces that includes Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Air Force and Officer’s Training Academy. UPSC has released the official information on the exam dates and application process. This year, UPSC CDS (II) will be conducted on 23rd of October.
CDS (II) examination for Indian Army Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy comprises of three papers i.e. English, Mathematics and General Knowledge. For Officers’ Training Academy, only two papers are there viz. English and General Knowledge. For a complete in-depth analysis of the exam pattern of UPSC CDS (II), follow the link.
General Knowledge is a major key component in both Indian Armed Forces recruitment and Officer’s Training recruitment. Hence, having general awareness of the world becomes all the more important. Now, let’s have a look at the topic wise weightage for CDS General Knowledge.
CDS General Knowledge Topics
UPSC CDS General Knowledge paper is an objective type paper of 100 marks with 120 questions. To help you understand the pattern of questions for CDS general knowledge section, we have mentioned some topics from previous year’s papers:
|Topics||No. of questions|
|2014 CDS (I)||2014 CDS (II)||2015 CDS (I)|
|History and Culture||19||23||18|
|Environment and Biodiversity||11||6||7|
After analyzing CDS general knowledge topics for the year 2014 and 2015, you can easily figure out which topic you need to focus on.
RECOMMENDED: UPSC CDS (II) General Knowledge Mock Tests e-Book
Preparation Tips for CDS General Knowledge
For UPSC CDS (II) exam, general knowledge plays an important role in boosting your score. Apart from Indian history and politics, lots of questions are asked from defense background. As a result, you need to prepare from a lot of sources effectively.
To help you in your preparation, here are some important preparation tips to crack the CDS general knowledge section:
- Read newspaper on a daily basis. This will not only help in enhancing your general knowledge but also of English language. It is the best habit that people can engage in to help them in various fields of knowledge and education. Pay special attention to front page news as it contains the most vital and latest information.
- Follow magazines or online journals which covers various topics ranging from economy to business to trade policies to the latest awardees in the fields of sports, art, literature etc. Stay up to date about everything that is going on in the world
- Prepare with the help of reference books which are available on various online sites rather than just relying on newspapers.
- Solve previous year’s papers on a regular basis. This helps in understanding the pattern of questions and how to attempt them. Also, you will learn the level of difficulty for each topic given in the syllabus.
- Practice with various mock tests and question banks available online or through particular books. This helps you in assessing the importance of time and efficiency. Set a timer and solve questions within the time frame to increase your speed of attempting questions.
- Make notes of important information which you find while reading and revise them regularly.
- Most of all, always stay positive and believe in yourself. You can easily release all the pressure and work-load of your exams by maintaining a positive outlook.
RECOMMENDED: UPSC CDS (II) Mock Tests e-Book
We hope all these preparation tips will prove beneficial for the upcoming UPSC CDS (II) Examination. In addition to this, you can also start preparing for English section of UPSC CDS (II) with the help of this link.
If there any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section below. For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.