How to approach Sentence Connector Questions in SBI PO Exam: The State Bank of India will commence the SBI PO Recruitment process in the month of April. It is essential for every candidate to crack both Prelims & Mains Examination, if he/she wants to work as a Bank PO in State Bank of India. According to the official notification, the total number of vacancies amount to 2403 for the upcoming examination.
SBI conducted the same examination last year & candidates were surprised to see questions from various new topics. Yes, we are talking about statement connector questions. A considerable number of aspirants had problems in attempting this topic. But, with good preparation and practice, this topic can easily become the most scoring one.
How to approach Sentence Connector Questions in SBI PO 2017?
For the first time, statement connector questions were asked in SBI PO 2016. The level of the questions was quite Moderate. But, since it was first of its kind questions, many students faced difficulty in attempting it. Let us make them easier for you by outlining information on How to approach Sentence Connector Questions in SBI PO 2017?
These are completely new questions for Banking aspirants. Surprisingly, SSC and Railways have not asked such questions till now. Go through some tips & tricks to solve statement connectors questions efficiently. Note down these tips on a sheet of paper and paste it on the wall. Else, bookmark this link & save paper 😉
- Read both the sentences till it gets understood completely. If there is any difficult word, don’t be in trouble. Try to derive the best meaning of it.
- Always remember that the chosen alternative must appropriately link the both given sentences.
- Try to frame a meaningful sentence by trying the given alternatives one-by-one.
- You can also use grammar rules of Preposition, Phrasal Verb, Dependent/Independent Clauses etc.
- Neither change the tense nor its meaning. No aspect of the sentence should be left out. Instead, use all fragment(s) of a sentence to be linked with connectors (mainly preposition and conjunction).
Categories of Linkers & Connectors
Let us look deep into the machinery of the said topic. There are 6 categories of Linkers & Connectors. Scroll down to read them one by one:
Category I – PURPOSE
- Connectors – So consequently/As a result/Therefore/So/Such…that
- Example – It was late. So, I decided to take a taxi home.
Category II – CAUSE AND REASON
- Connectors – Because/As/Since/Because of/Due to
- Example – We were unable to go by train because of the rail strike
Category III – CONTRAST
- Connectors – Although/Even Though/But/Despite/Inspite of/However/Nevertheless/On the other hand
- Example – Although the car is old, it is reliable
Category IV – TIME
- Connectors – When/While/Whilst/After/Before/As soon as/Until/By the time
- Example – While I was driving home, I saw a terrible accident
Category V – ADDITION
- Connectors – And/In addition/Furthermore/Moreover/In addition to/Besides/Too/As well as/Also
- Example – They robbed a bank as well as a post office.
Category VI – PURPOSE
- Connectors – In order to/So as to
- Example – I left early so that I would meet Vishal at the cinema on time.
How to approach Sentence Connector Questions in SBI PO 2017: Sample Question with Explanation
Direction: Select the phrase/connector from the given three options which can be used in the beginning (to start the sentence) to form a single sentence from the two sentences given below, implying the same meaning as expressed in the statement sentences.
Madurai junction remained isolated from the national railway network for four days. It came alive on Monday evening after all train services from the city in south and north directions were operated in regular route.
(i) After remaining isolated from…
(ii) Coming alive on Monday Madurai junction……
(iii) All train services from the city in……
A) Only (i)
B) Only (ii)
C) Only (iii)
D) Both (i) and (iii)
Answer – D) Both (i) and (iii)
Smart Strategy Explanation
Starting with (i) – After remaining isolated from the national railway network for four days, Madurai junction came alive on Monday evening after all train services from the city in south and north directions were operated in regular route.
Now with (iii) – All train services from the city in south and north direction were operated in regular route in Madurai junction as it came alive on Monday evening after remaining isolated from the national railway network for four days.
Read above structured sentences carefully. Instead of creating sentences, it is structuring sentence as here we just have to rearrange fragments in a meaningful order. Neither change the tense nor the meaning. No aspect of the sentence should be left out. Instead, use all fragment(s) of a sentence to be linked with connectors (mainly preposition and conjunction). While the same doesn’t go well with (ii). Here, NO meaningful sentence can be framed with including all aspects of the sentences.
Make sure you gain access to your call letter before the date of examination. Following the success of Previous All India Tests, OnlineTyari will be conducting another AIT on 24 April 2017.
Compare yourself and know your All India Rank:
Here we conclude our article on How to approach Sentence Connector Questions in SBI PO 2017. Click on the above links to buy the products and ace in upcoming banking exams.