SBI PO Mains English Preparation Tips 2017: The Final Written Exam for the selection of Probationary Officers will be held on 4th June. With just a few days left, candidates preparing for SBI PO Mains Exam need to concentrate more on maximising speed and accuracy in the overall paper.
This article specifically focuses on SBI PO Mains English Preparation Tips and Tricks. We recommend you to read our related articles on the remaining topics too: SBI PO Mains Section-wise Preparation Tips
SBI PO Mains English Preparation Tips & Tricks
Let us outline the SBI PO Mains Pattern before we begin our topic-wise preparation tips for English Language Section.
|Name of the Section||Questions||Marks||Duration (in mins.)|
|General/ Financial Awareness||40||40||35|
|Reasoning & Computer Awareness||45||60||60|
Based on SBI PO Previous Year Analysis, the overall level of difficulty of the paper was Hard, with English Section being quite challenging. The topic-wise distribution of questions will help understand better about which English Topics should be practised more and carry a higher authority.
SBI PO Mains English Trend: Topic-Wise Distribution
The Exam Pattern of SBI PO Mains Examination has drastically changed over the past few years. Now, each section comes with a fixed time limit. Based on previous year paper, the topic-wise distribution of questions in SBI PO English Section could be similar to this.
|Name of Topic||Number of Questions (%age)|
|Synonyms & Antonyms||14.28%|
From the distribution above, we can clearly see that most of the sectional weightage has been consumed by Reading Comprehension Questions. The rest of the topics share an equal amount of weightage but again, RC is expected to consume near about 50%.
Keeping in mind the time limitations, here are a few tips and tricks to solve questions based on various English Topics for SBI PO Mains Examination. Go through each section properly and try to use this in the upcoming examination.
Tips to Solve Reading Comprehension Questions in SBI PO Mains 2017 Examination
- Try to skim/ scan through the paragraph as quickly as possible. Make sure you mark all the essential words as you read along.
- The First and Last Paragraph are crucial. Most cases, they help navigate the central theme of the passage.
- Time Management is important. Incase you are stuck with an impossible set of sentences, it is recommended that you skip and move to the next section.
- Work on improving your Vocabulary. Sometimes, there are specific words in a passage which change the meaning in a drastic way. Only the ones with strong vocabulary can solve these.
- Solve Previous Years Papers. You get to know a lot about the level of examination based on what asked earlier.
Tips to Solve Synonyms & Antonyms Questions in SBI PO Mains 2017 Examination
- Inculcate Eclectic Reading in your routine. Reading from various sources like textbooks, novels, blogs etc. helps in building a versatile vocabulary.
- Maintain a separate notebook. Whenever you come across an essential/ important/ new word, make sure you enter this in your notebook for future use.
- Understand Word Usage from Dictionary. Since there are literally an infinite number of words, it is advisable to learn the usage of words from dictionary based on alphabet breakdown and combination.
- Try and build sentences using Synonyms and Antonyms. It is considered a better learning exercise to introduce various synonyms and antonyms in your daily vocabulary for faster learning.
- Mug up the most commonly used Synonyms and Antonyms. Based on previous years papers and other bank exams, you can make a list of most commonly used words and learn them by heart.
Tips to Solve Paragraph Completion Questions in SBI PO Mains 2017 Examination
- First, try and understand the meaning of the passage. Most candidates miss out a crucial detail and this results in selecting the wrong option. All the sentences need to be in proper sync to make the paragraph meaningful.
- Locate any break in continuity. Elaborating further on the point made above, the passage needs to in complete sync. Any option which breaks the continuity at any point will be wrong option.
- Detect the Overall Tone. Quite similar to the meaning of the passage will be the tone. The tone of the passage will directly help understand the outcome/ conclusion. Keep that in mind while solving paragraph completion questions.
Tips to Solve Sentence Exclusion Questions in SBI PO Mains 2017 Examination
- Treat them as a New Form of Parajumbles. In reality, most questions asked in sentence exclusion carry a relevant theme to parajumble questions. Hence, your approach could be similar.
- Identify the chronologically correct first sentence. This sentence will definitely help introduce a definitive tone, structure and meaning to the passage.
- Connectors will be extremely helpful. Your knowledge of understanding connectors will be put to test here. Understand the tone and work with connectors in each sentence. There needs to be coherence.
- A sentence will be out of tone. That sentence is the odd one out, and your answer but this can only work if you follow the above mentioned 3 steps.
Tips to Solve Sentence Connector Questions in SBI PO Mains 2017 Examination
- Build a relation on Tenses. Questions based on Sentence Connector mostly rely on coherence in tenses. Make sure each sentence maintains that.
- The Tone remain unchanged. No matter what happens, the overall tone needs to be fluid throughout.
- Identify critical prepositions and connectors. In each sentence, there will be 1-2 binding words which will directly point out to a definitive sentence. Find them and check if they fit in the right order.