How to Secure 150+ Marks in SSC CGL Tier 1 Examination 2018: SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination is conducted by Staff Selection Commission every year for the recruitment of Group B and C candidates to various government institutes. SSC CGL is one of the most popular recruitment examinations of the country, with millions of candidates appearing every year. Recently, the Staff Selection Commission has officially released SSC CGL (Combined Graduate Level) Recruitment Notification for this year.
In today’s article, we will provide you tips and tricks on How to secure 150+ Marks in SSC CGL Tier 1 2018. Let us revisit the exam pattern first and understand the relevance of each section in SSC CGL Tier 1 2018.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
The Examination will be conducted in four tiers as indicated below:
- Tier -I — Computer Based Examination
- Tier -II — Computer Based Examination
- Tier -III — Pen and Paper Mode (Descriptive paper)
- Tier-IV — Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable)/Document Verification
SSC CGL 2018: Tier 1 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier 1 is Common for all posts. Those candidates qualify SSC CGL 2018 Tier 1 will be eligible for SSC CGL 2018 Tier 2.
|Subject||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
Note: There will be negative marking of 0.50 for each wrong answer in Tier-I.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Examination 2018: Expected Number of Questions from Various Topics
From each topic, there will be objective based questions to solve. But, there is an index which can help us understand the importance of each section according to the number of question asked on each topic.
Quantitative Aptitude in SSC CGL Tier 1
For SSC CGL Tier 1 Quantitative Aptitude section, Compartmentalization of topics is very important. One must know the topics one is comfortable with – from least to most. One also needs to know as to what could be the level of difficulty of questions; one can handle in an examination scenario.
Here with the help of this table, you will be able to understand and allocate time accordingly for each topic of Quantitative Aptitude section. The below given marks distribution is based on the previous year analysis and it may vary.
|Profit & Loss & Discount||1|
|SI and CI||1|
|Ratio and Proportion||1|
|Mixture & Alligation||1|
|Time and Work||1|
|Time, Speed & Distance||1|
|Surds and indices||0-1|
The Quantitative Aptitude Section is basically the test of the calculative and Interpretative part of the Candidate. This section comprises of 25 Questions. This section seems to be bit lengthy as it involves Long Calculations and Data Interpretation Questions where the data has to be analyzed. Only Practice can help you master this section.
Here are a few preparation tips for all SSC Aspirants to follow
- The Level of Difficulty for all the shifts will be same
- Try to score between 35 to 40+ marks. You should be able to attempt 17-18 questions for which you understand the complete logic then move to the other questions.
- Use tips tricks or direct formulas that can be used to conclude the answer
- Dedicate time to each topic one by one and keep switching topics as well so that you don’t get bored with one subject.
- Solve previous year’s question papers to understand the pattern of questions which are asked in the exam.
- Stay calm and composed at all times and don’t panic. It will only make matters worse for you. Always study with a positive attitude which will help you to retain and recall all that you have learned over the period of time.
Reasoning Ability in SSC CGL Tier 1
For SSC CGL Tier 1 Reasoning section, One’s presence of mind is more than sufficient to solve these problems. One can score very heavily in Reasoning by having a proper SSC CGL Tier 1 Officer Study Plan resulting in achieving the overall cut-off for the exam.
Here with the help of this table, you will be able to understand and allocate time accordingly for each topic of Reasoning section. The below given marks distribution is based on the previous year analysis and it may vary
|Classification/odd one out||3|
|Figure counting/cubes, dice||1|
- Start preparing topic by topic and then make yourself clear with Questions under Reasoning that is your strength. Segregate the topics which you are weak in and practice those every day.
- Questions based on Reasoning will be purely logic based. Try attempting as many online mock tests as you can so that your logic building process is initiated and you can identify how to proceed further with a problem
English Language in SSC CGL Tier 1
English Section is the test of Vocabulary and the English skills but SSC CGL Tier 1 English Section is much tougher in comparison to the other competitive Examination. The section consists of 25 Questions and might be the easiest and scoring section for one having good knowledge of English. List of topics that covers the major portion is as follows:
It is recommended to attempt English Section first, in order to score good marks, follow the below-mentioned tips.
English language in competitive exams incorporates three important sections: vocabulary, grammar, and comprehension. Building a good knowledge of vocabulary is in one’s hands. You need to implement the new words learned to increase your vocabulary, otherwise just learning words and not using them will suffice to broaden your vocabulary. Below mentioned are the solutions to the remaining questions.
Regular Practice, Constant Reading from various sources and progress report will help you understand your scale of improvement.
General Awareness in SSC CGL Tier 1
The General Awareness Section plays a very important role, mostly due to the fact that it is very scoring. List of topics that covers the major portion is as follows:
Questions in this component will be aimed at testing the candidates general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society.
- Understanding History Topics is very important for any examination, SSC CGL or not, as it is the backbone of every subject. It is very rare that questions from World History have been asked, so there is no need to waste time on World History. Instead, concentrate on Indian History only.
- Try to cover the jest of Indian History (Medieval and Modern), Indian Geography (Physical), Terms and Theories of Economy, Polity and Basics of Constitution
- Read from Various Sources: Make a habit of reading newspaper (preferably related to economics) daily. This will not only help in enhancing your general knowledge but also of English language.
- The Miscellaneous Section may contain various topics like Current affairs, Computer Knowledge, Technology, Books and Authors, Sports, Persons and Places in News, Abbreviations, etc.
- Only a limited set of questions are asked on Current Affairs. So, try not to dedicate a major portion of your time for it.
You can also follow these pointers to secure 150+ marks in SSC CGL Tier 1 Examination
- Set your bar high. 150+ should be your target to grab any post in SSC CGL
- You just have to give as many mock test as you can on daily basis.
- Analyze every mock test you appear for and see the improvements in terms of Time as well as accuracy. This will help you get a fair number of attempts that you can make in the real examination.
Recommended Books for SSC CGL Examination 2018: Click here
We hope that this article on How to secure 150+ Marks in SSC CGL Tier 1 2018 Exam Knowledge will help you to formulate your exam strategy and score well in the prelims Examination.
Here, we have a short interview of an aspirant who has been a regular user of the OnlineTyari App and whose relentless determination and resolution helped him reach his ultimate goal of getting recruited as Central Bureau of Investigation.
Benefits of Tyari plus
- Unlimited Access to Mock Tests
- Detailed performance report
- One free counseling session
- Free monthly current affairs digest
- Ad-free experience & more