Tips to Solve Number System Questions in CDS 2016: Combined Defence Services Examination is a national level entrance exam conducted by UPSC twice every year. UPSC CDS (I) was conducted in the month of February, 2016. UPSC has released the official information on the exam dates and application process. This year, UPSC CDS (II) will be conducted on 23rd of October.
CDS (II) examination for Indian Army Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy comprises of three papers i.e. English, Mathematics and General Knowledge. For a complete in-depth analysis of the exam pattern of UPSC CDS (II), follow the link. Hence, we can say that the mathematics section is a key component to ensure a good score for the CDS (II) examination.
One of the most important topics of CDS Elementary mathematics is number systems. In this article, we will be focusing on the tips to solve number system questions easily. But first, lets have a look at the CDS (I) exam analysis of the number system questions.
Analysis of Number System Questions in CDS (I) 2016 Paper
The UPSC CDS (I) exam was conducted on 14th February. Here, we have mentioned a table which highlights the questions pattern for the number system topic of CDS exam.
No. of questions
|Basics of number system||4|
|LCM and HCF||3|
|Surds and Indices||2|
From the above information, we can conclude that there was a fair distribution of questions for each of the topics in number systems. However, we can not rely on the previous paper of CDS exam completely. It is important for candidates to prepare for each of the topics mentioned in the syllabus for UPSC CDS (II) Elementary Mathematics.
Tips to Solve Number System Questions in CDS
Weight age of number system in CDS exam is around 15% every year. Number system is the fundamental concept of any topic in mathematics. We are surrounded by numbers in our daily life like calculations, counting, analysis, etc. To help you in your preparation, we have mentioned some important tips to solve number system questions in CDS exam. Have a look at these:
- To learn the number system concepts, make use of NCERT books of class 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th. This is the best way to learn the basic fundamentals.
- Learn the types of numbers concepts, so as to solve easy questions without pen and paper. Memorize them and keep revising them till the date of your examination.
- The best way to solve number system questions quickly is to work on your basics i.e. LCM and HCF and divisibility rules. Make your basics strong and half of your work is done.
- Try to solve at least 50 questions of this topic ranging from easy to intermediate levels of difficulty.
- Focus on questions related to finding unit digit place of the product of numbers. Try to solve around 50 questions of this particular topic.
- Lastly, go to the Remainder theorem then learn the shortcuts on how to calculate number of zeros in a given factorial. Try to solve around 50 problems on remainder theorem. Let us try to learn an application of remainder theorem with an example:
Find the remainder when (123 x 453 x 656) is divided by 13.
Solution: Step 1: Find out the remainders individually.
Remainder of 123/13 = 6
Remainder of 453/13 = 11
Remainder of 656/13 = 6
Step 2: Multiply these individual remainders to find final remainder
Remainder of (123 x 453 x 656)/13= Remainder of ( ) =Remainder of ( ) = 6.
We hope all these preparation tips to solve number system questions will prove beneficial for the upcoming UPSC CDS (II) Examination. If there any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section below.
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.