SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC: Railways Non-Technical Exam and SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam have largely become the most popular recruitment examinations of 2017. The number of vacancies, posts as well as job description has led to an uprising in terms of the number of applicants. Though both are broadly non-technical jobs, you can only follow one career path. A number of factors can be taken into consideration while comparing careers. But in absolute broad terms, the decision between SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC can be made by comparing job profile, salary and perks, work environment and career growth opportunities.
We hope our comparative analysis will help you to decide among them. It is extremely important that you weigh-in all pros and cons of both careers before you opt for one. The focus of the current article is to compare SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC systematically on the basis of Career Scope, Job Description, Work Pressure, Salary and Future Scope.
SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC: Job Description & Scope
Our first level of comparative analysis is based on the job description or profile of both SSC CGL and RRB NTPC candidates. Let us get an in-depth insight on it.
RRB NTPC Job Profile
Railway, the single largest employer in India offers jobs in a number of categories. Railway Recruitment Control Board (RRB) conducts examination for recruitment of Non-Technical Popular Categories (Graduate) posts. Various Posts that Include under Railway NTPC Exam are as shown below:
- Enquiry-Cum- Reservation-Clerk (ECRC),
- Goods Guard,
- Commercial Apprentice (CA),
- Traffic Apprentice (TA),
- Junior Accounts Assistant-Cum-Typist (JAA),
- Asst Station Master (ASM),
- Traffic Assistant and Senior Timekeeper
- Senior Clerk-Cum-Typist.
Depending upon the post, generally, the one can be assigned to perform supervision and administrative work and would include operating the signals in railways, maintaining the accounts of the railways, working as Guards and Goods Guards or perform any work specified by the department.
SSC CGL Job Profile
SSC organizes CGL Exam for the appointment of officers in various departments (30 departments).
- Assistant ( For Ministries / Department / organisations, CBC, IB)
- Assistant Section Officer (In office of Central Secretariat Service)
- Inspector (For CBDT, CBEC, CBI etc.)
- SI in CBI, NIA
- Assistant Enforcement Officer
- Divisional Accountant (For Offices under CAG)
- Statistical Investigator
- Assistant Audit Officer (CAG)
- Auditor: Offices under C&AG, CGDA, CGA, and others.
- Accountant / Junior Accountant : Central Govt. Offices and Ministries, Offices under CAG, CGA, and others.
- Tax Assistant: CBDT, CBEC
- Compiler: Registrar General of India
- Sub Inspector: Central Bureau of Narcotics
The officer recruited through SSC CGL are expected to perform following duties depending upon their respective departments:
- Clerical work (filing work) in office like answering RTI queries.
- General administration work.
- Do field Jobs that involve traveling.
- Carry out raids, Inspections, surveillance etc.
- Helping hands to make policies by looking after the back office work.
SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC: Work Pressure and Working hours
- Being non-technical posts in the Indian Railway, you have to perform the tasks related to that post after an initial orientation cum training. The scope of work includes a lot of variety. It is a continuous learning curve.
- As an RRB NTPC, you are not expected to do the public dealing.
- In RRB NTPC, your work schedule will depend on your post and the department, you are working in. It may be a day job, a night job, or anything as per the need of the railways.
- Your work profile will vary as per the department. Generally, the work includes supervision, administrative task, or any other task bestowed by the senior officials from time to time. As an officer, you will undergo rigorous training to understand the nitty gritty of Administration.
- As an Officer recruited through SSC, you have to interact with general public.
- In SSC, you will have a proper work schedule. Daily you will be going in the morning and coming back to your home in the evening, no extra work hours and working in shifts.
SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC – Transfers
In RRB NTPC and SSC CGL, transfer policy is different for different posts and you can be posted in far away, unheard villages to look after the Railway’s interests.
In SSC, the transfers mostly take place every 4-5 years (except in CSS jobs where you will always be posted in Delhi). In both Organizations, the transfer is on the basis of seniority/promotion.
Preparing for SSC CGL?? Here are our recommended products
Here we are offering you no. of books that contains best in class books for each section.
SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC – Salary, Perks and Benefits
Salary, Pay Scale and Benefits, all play a vital role while selecting a career choice between SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC. Let us now look at the monthly salary, benefits, and perks awarded to employees at various posts in both.
RRB Non-Technical Posts
- Commercial Apprentice/ Traffic Apprentice/ Assistant Station Master: Rs. 9,300 – 34,800/- + GP Rs. 4,200/-
- Enquiry-Cum-Reservation Clerk/ Goods Guard/ Junior Accounts Assistant-cum-Typist/ Senior Clerk-Cum-Typist / Traffic Assistant/ Time Keeper : Rs. 5,200 – 20,200/- + GP Rs. 2,800/-
As per your post, you are entitled to a number of allowances:
- Dearness Allowance (DA)
- House Rent Allowance (HRA)
- Transport Allowance (TA)
- Cash Medical Benefit
- Group Mediclaim
- Pension Scheme
In RRB NTPC, you will receive Rs 25,000 -35,000/ month depending on your post.
SSC CGL Group B and C Posts
- Group B: Grade pay of Rs. Rs. 4600 and Rs. 4200 (not salary) in the scale of pay of Rs 9300 – 34800 in the Pay Band-2
- Group C: grade pay of Rs. 2800, and Rs. 4200 in the Pay Band-1.
As an officer recruited through SSC, you are entitled to receive between Rs. 25000 – 40,000/ month and following allowances are applicable (for most posts)
- Dearness Allowance
- House Rent Allowance
- Pension Scheme
- Transport Allowance
- Home Travel Concession/ Leave Fare Concession
So, as per these criteria (Salary, Perks, and Benefits) both, being 100% government jobs, are equal having good perks and benefits.
SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC: Career Growth and Promotions
RRB NTPC: Promotions in RRB NTPC are somewhat hard and not even time bound. Few promotions are as follow:
- Assistant Station Master can go up to Divisional Operations Manager.
- Junior Accounts Assistant can go up to Chief Account Officers/ Financial Adviser.
- Goods Guard can go up to Chief Controller.
- Commercial Apprentice can go upto Senior Divisional Commercial Manager.
- The Railways follows a non-proactive promotion policy.
SSC CGL: Promotions in SSC happen every 4-5 years. As per your post, you will be promoted to the next higher level. An auditor will become Senior Auditor in 3 years.
- Assistant Enforcement Officer will become Enforcement Officer in 4-5 years.
- Income Tax Officer will become Assistant Commissioner, then Deputy Commissioner and Finally Commissioner.
- Assistant in CSS will be promoted to the next post – SO (which is a Group-B Gazetted Officer post) and can go up to Joint Secretary.
SSC CGL vs RRB NTPC: Final Conclusion
From the above discussion, following conclusions may be drawn:
- Job profile of SSC CGL seems to be more charming.
- Work pressure wise the only differentiating factor is more public exposure. Working hours in RRB NTPC may be tough depending upon the job profile you have.
- Both RRB NTPC and SSC CGL are government jobs, making transfers a necessary evil in this comparison.
- Definitely, future wise, SSC CGL has better prospects than RRB NTPC.
- Promotion in SSC is way faster and well defined and streamlined procedure for promoting an officer at regular time interval.
Thus, after the above comparison, it seems that both have their own pros and cons. As far as salary and exposure are concern, one can opt for SSC CGL. On the other hand, if you like to do simple stress-free work then you may opt for RRB NTPC. Go through the comparison and choose your carrier, ultimately, the decision is yours.
Let us know your queries, if any, in the comments section below.
To excel in SSC CGL Examination, download the Best Government Exam Preparation App for free.