UPSC IES New Exam Pattern 2017: Union Public Services Commission conducts the Engineering Services Examination (ESE) for recruitment into various government run institutes in the sector of Power, Railways, Roadways, Construction, Telecommunication etc. This year, UPSC IES exam will be conducted on 8 January 2017. This gives ample of time to all the candidates aspiring to work in the field of Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.
UPSC has issued the revised IES new exam pattern and scheme for the year 2017. Candidates aspiring to give the Engineering Services Examination should prepare as per the IES new exam pattern and syllabus. In this article, we will be giving all the relevant information regarding the latest IES new exam pattern 2017. But first, let us revisit previous year’s exam pattern for ESE and highlight all the changes.
UPSC IES Exam Pattern 2016
UPSC IES/ ESE is widely regarded as one of the toughest exams of the country. Every year, lakhs of aspirants appear for the engineering services examination. In 2016, the written examination was conducted in a span of 3 days covering 5 papers in total. A proper layout of IES Exam Pattern 2016 will help you get a better idea.
|I||General Ability Test– Part A: General English Part B: General Studies (Objective)||200||2 hours|
|II||Engineering Discipline Paper I (Objective)||200||2 hours|
|III||Engineering Discipline Paper II (Objective)||200||2 hours|
|IV||Engineering Discipline Paper I (Subjective)||200||3 hours|
|V||Engineering Discipline Paper II (Subjective)||200||3 hours|
From the above data, we can compile the following points:
- Papers I, II, III were objective in nature carrying a total score of 600 marks.
- Papers IV, V were subjective in nature carrying a total score of 400 marks.
- The total time to solve all of the IES papers was 12 hours.
After qualifying in the written test, the shortlisted candidates are called for an interview. The personality test carried 200 marks bringing the total to 1200 marks. The cumulative scores of both written test and interview is taken into consideration while preparing the final merit list.
Now, let’s have a look at the IES new exam pattern and the how ESE pattern changed from previous year’s.
UPSC IES New Exam Pattern 2017
From the year 2017, UPSC IES will follow a new exam structure for the ESE. From next year onwards, candidates have to appear for a three-tier selection process:
- Preliminary Exam (Objective)
- Mains Exam (Conventional)
- Personality Test/ Interview
This means that the trend of conducting 5 papers in a span of 3 days will subside. The proposed changes in the IES new exam pattern is as follows:
- ESE pattern changed from two stage selection process to a three stage one which will ease off the screening of huge number of applicants.
- Only those qualifying the preliminary stage of ESE, will be eligible for the mains examination.
- The UPSC IES new exam pattern and syllabus will include General Studies & Engineering Aptitude subjects instead of General Ability Test.
- Both the objective papers of the engineering disciplines have been combined to a single paper carrying a total of 300 marks.
- Weightage of marks for conventional papers has increased to 300 marks.
- The cumulative score of the candidates will be deduced by adding the marks of prelims and mains exam (from a total of 1100 marks) and Interview (200 marks). This means that total marks has been increased in the new IES exam pattern by 100 marks i.e. from 2017, ESE will be of 1300 marks.
- Under the IES new exam pattern, the total time to solve the papers of ESE is 11 hours.
To have a clear idea of the IES new exam pattern refer to the following tables:
UPSC IES Stage I: Preliminary Exam
The UPSC IES new exam pattern requires the candidates to appear for the prelims exam first. ESE prelims will be objective in nature carrying a total of 500 marks.
|Name of the Subject||Duration||Marks|
|Paper-I : General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Objective)||2 hours||200|
|Paper-II : Engineering Field (Objective)||3 hours||300|
UPSC IES Stage II: Mains Exam
Those who qualify the prelims stage with the minimum cut off marks will be eligible to appear for UPSC IES mains exam. The UPSC IES mains paper will be conventional in nature and will comprise of following 2 papers:
|Name of the Subject||Duration||Marks|
|Paper-I : Engineering Field (Conventional)||3 hours||300|
|Paper-II : Engineering Field (Conventional)||3 hours||300|
Candidates who successfully crack both the stages of ESE will move to the final round viz. Interview. The personality test carries a total of 200 marks. Candidates who qualify all the 3 stages of UPSC IES will be listed in the final merit list, prepared by the UPSC.
We hope this article on the UPSC IES new exam pattern provides you with necessary information. Gear up and start preparing for the upcoming UPSC IES exam by following the links of the syllabus for your respective field of engineering:
- UPSC IES Syllabus for Civil Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus for Electrical Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering Syllabus 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus for General Studies 2017
Stay connected for more information regarding UPSC IES Recruitment 2017. To excel in Engineering Exams, download the Best IES Preparation App for free.
If you have any doubts or queries, please post them in the comment section below. For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.