UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication 2017: Union Public Services Commission conducts the Engineering Services Examination (ESE) for recruitment into various government run institutes in the sector of Power, Railways, Roadways, Construction, Telecommunication etc. This article will cover all the relevant information related to UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication 2017.
This year, UPSC ESE will be conducted in the month of January. IES offers posts in the field of Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering. Before heading to UPSC IES Syllabus Electronics Telecommunication, let’s have a look at the exam pattern for UPSC IES Electronics Telecommunication Paper 2017.
ESE/ IES Electronics Communication Exam Pattern 2017
The Engineering Services Examination 2017 will be conducted in three stages i.e. Preliminary exam, Mains exam and Personality Test. The preliminary exam will be objective MCQ in nature. For UPSC IES prelims, the exam will comprise of the following 2 papers:
|Name of the Subject||Duration||Marks|
|Paper-I : General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Objective)||2 hours||200|
|Paper-II : Electronics Telecommunication (Objective)||3 hours||300|
Those who qualify the prelims stage with the minimum cut off marks will be eligible to appear for UPSC IES mains. The UPSC IES mains paper will be conventional in nature and will comprise of following 2 papers:
|Name of the Subject||Duration||Marks|
|Paper-I : Electronics Telecommunication (Conventional)||3 hours||300|
|Paper-II : Electronics Telecommunication (Conventional)||3 hours||300|
Candidates who successfully crack both the stages of ESE will move to the final round viz. Interview. Now, let’s focus on the most important segment of the article i.e. UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication Paper 2017.
UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication 2017
The following piece of information contains the entire UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication Paper for both the stages (Prelims, Mains) of the ESE.
IES Electronics Telecommunication Syllabus for Paper I
The paper I of Electronics Telecommunication deals with the basic understanding of Electronics Engineering, Materials Science, Network theory etc.
Basic Electronics Engineering
- Basics of semiconductors; Diode/Transistor basics and characteristics; Diodes for different uses; Junction & Field Effect Transistors (BJTs, JFETs, MOSFETs); Transistor amplifiers of different types, oscillators and other circuits; Basics of Integrated Circuits (ICs); Bipolar, MOS and CMOS ICs; Basics of linear ICs, operational amplifiers and their applications-linear/non-linear; Optical sources/detectors; Basics of Opto electronics and its applications.
Basic Electrical Engineering
- DC circuits-Ohm’s & Kirchoff’s laws, mesh and nodal analysis, circuit theorems; Electro-magnetism, Faraday’s & Lenz’s laws, induced EMF and its uses; Single-phase AC circuits; Transformers, efficiency; Basics-DC machines, induction machines, and synchronous machines; Electrical power sources- basics: hydroelectric, thermal, nuclear, wind, solar; Basics of batteries and their uses.
- Electrical Engineering materials; Crystal structure & defects; Ceramic materials-structures, composites, processing and uses; Insulating laminates for electronics, structures, properties and uses; Magnetic materials, basics, classification, ferrites, ferro/paramagnetic materials and components; Nano materials-basics, preparation, purification, sintering, nano particles and uses; Nanooptical/magnetic/electronic materials and uses; Superconductivity, uses.
Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation
- Principles of measurement, accuracy, precision and standards; Analog and Digital systems for measurement, measuring instruments for different applications; Static/dynamic characteristics of measurement systems, errors, statistical analysis and curve fitting; Measurement systems for non-electrical quantities; Basics of telemetry; Different types of transducers and displays; Data acquisition system basics.
- Network graphs & matrices; Wye-Delta transformation; Linear constant coefficient differential equations- time domain analysis of RLC circuits; Solution of network equations using Laplace transforms- frequency domain analysis of RLC circuits; 2-port network parametersdriving point & transfer functions; State equations for networks; Steady state sinusoidal analysis.
Analog and Digital Circuits
- Small signal equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTS and FETs; Diode circuits for different uses; Biasing & stability of BJT & JFET amplifier circuits; Analysis/design of amplifier- single/multi-stage; Feedback& uses; Active filters, timers, multipliers, wave shaping, A/D-D/A converters; Boolean Algebra& uses; Logic gates, Digital IC families, Combinatorial/sequential circuits; Basics of multiplexers, counters/registers/ memories /microprocessors, design& applications.
IES Electronics Telecommunication Syllabus for Paper II
The paper II of ESE Electronics Telecommunication deals with Electro Magnetics, Advanced Electronics Topics etc.
Analog and Digital Communication Systems
- Random signals, noise, probability theory, information theory; Analog versus digital communication & applications: SystemsAM, FM, transmitters/receivers, theory/practice/ standards, SNR comparison; Digital communication basics: Sampling, quantizing, coding, PCM, DPCM, multiplexing-audio/video; Digital modulation: ASK, FSK, PSK; Multiple access: TDMA, FDMA, CDMA; Optical communication: fibre optics, theory, practice/standards.
- Classification of signals and systems; Application of signal and system theory; System realization; Transforms& their applications; Signal flow graphs, Routh-Hurwitz criteria, root loci, Nyquist/Bode plots; Feedback systems-open &close loop types, stability analysis, steady state, transient and frequency response analysis; Design of control systems, compensators, elements of lead/lag compensation, PID and industrial controllers.
Computer Organization and Architecture
- Basic architecture, CPU, I/O organisation, memory organisation, peripheral devices, trends; Hardware /software issues; Data representation& Programming; Operating systems-basics, processes, characteristics, applications; Memory management, virtual memory, file systems, protection & security; Data bases, different types, characteristics and design; Transactions and concurrency control; Elements of programming languages, typical examples.
- Elements of vector calculus, Maxwell’s equations-basic concepts; Gauss’, Stokes’ theorems; Wave propagation through different media; Transmission Lines-different types, basics, Smith’s chart, impedance matching/transformation, S-parameters, pulse excitation, uses; Waveguides-basics, rectangular types, modes, cut-off frequency, dispersion, dielectric types; Antennas-radiation pattern, monopoles/dipoles, gain, arrays-active/passive, theory, uses.
Advanced Electronics Topics
- VLSI technology: Processing, lithography, interconnects, packaging, testing; VLSI design: Principles, MUX/ROM/PLA-based design, Moore & Mealy circuit design; Pipeline concepts & functions; Design for testability, examples; DSP: Discrete time signals/systems, uses; Digital filters: FIR/IIR types, design, speech/audio/radar signal processing uses; Microprocessors & microcontrollers, basics, interrupts, DMA, instruction sets, interfacing; Controllers & uses; Embedded systems.
Advanced Communication Topics
- Communication networks: Principles /practices /technologies /uses /OSI model/security; Basic packet multiplexed streams/scheduling; Cellular networks, types, analysis, protocols (TCP/TCPIP); Microwave & satellite communication: Terrestrial/space type LOS systems, block schematics link calculations, system design; Communication satellites, orbits, characteristics, systems, uses; Fibre-optic communication systems, block schematics, link calculations, system design.
We hope this article on the latest UPSC IES Syllabus for Electronics Telecommunication Paper 2017 provides you with necessary information. Have a look at the UPSC IES Syllabus for other related disciplines from the following links:
- UPSC IES Syllabus Mechanical Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus Electrical Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus Civil Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus General Studies & Engineering Aptitude 2017
Stay connected for more information regarding ESE/ IES 2017. To excel in Engineering Exams, download the Best ESE Preparation App for free.
If you have any doubts or queries, please post them in the comment section below. For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.