Composing Well-Structured, Crisp and Clear Content in a limited time duration for UPSC Exams is one task which is quite tough to master. To be precise, you can’t learn everything in the vast syllabus that there is. Only sensible spontaneity of mind can help you write meaningful, effective answers in the examination hall.
In this article, we will talk about a few strategies to hone your brain and to make you prepared mentally for writing effective answers in the UPSC Civil Services Examination.
Study Tips & Techniques for Writing Effective Answers in IAS Mains 2016
For constructing good content in your IAS Mains, you need to keep a few things in mind. Besides reading newspapers and acquiring vast knowledge of the world affairs, there are even more important tactics that can help you in writing effective answers. Let’s have a look at some:
The very first step to writing an effective extract is knowing what to write, there being no substitute to knowledge in itself. The math remains simple: if you don’t know the answer, you can’t write it well. No writing skill or brain mechanism comes handy in the face of wrong answers when it comes to Civil Services Examination.
Your brain needs to be trained to acquire knowledge and that too loads of it. Read a lot from various books. Making notes of everything important that you read is another memory exercise that comes handy while preparing for UPSC Civil Services Examination. They aid quick and easy revision as well and are time saving.
Sometimes you might have a biased opinion on a particular topic due to varied reasons. To configure these biases you need to indulge in healthy discussions with friends and peers on important topics with an open mind.
This will help you gain an insight into a point-of-view that might be different from the one you have, thus exposing your brain to a wholesome picture. Open discussions train your brain to be more active towards acceptance of view that might be different from your own.
Be a Teacher
Another way to grasp complete understanding of a particular topic is to teach it to someone else, who doesn’t understand that topic.
It is a fact that you can only teach someone else when you completely understand that topic yourself.
Broaden Your Understanding
After you make a list of all the important topics that require detailed study from the exam perspective, gather important information about the topic from more than one source. Study the topic from all the viewpoints before jumping to conclusions straightaway.
Broadening your understanding is an effective way to prepare your mind for writing impactful answers.
About Originality and Analytics
The thing about effective answers is that they are no walk in the park. While basic knowledge is important to write an answer, just that won’t be enough. A Close look at the UPSC papers and you will notice that every question asked requires a lot of brainstorming and analysis of topics to be formed into answers.
Answer Writing Tips for UPSC CSE Mains
It is just not enough to know all the facts and information for each question. The most important thing to be kept in mind is to write an answer in a clear and logical frame and is able to hold one’s attention. It is important to adopt an answer style which is natural, original and to the point. There are several other tips to keep in mind while writing effective answers for your IAS mains paper. Have a look at some:
- Go through the question paper in first 2-3 minutes and select the questions you are good at and attempt them first. After attempting these questions, go back to those you left and try to analyze their answers.
- A candidate must adpot a point-wise format for their answers. If the question demands a paragraph format, you may do so.
- Take the key words from the question and explain them. You must present your answers in a simple and clear language without unnecessary use of nouns and verbs.
- Try to include sub/side headings in your answers. Side heading helps examiner to know what is written in that point or paragraph. This increases focus of the examiner on important points which you want to convey.
- Conclusion of answers is required for GS Paper-1, 2 and 3 of IAS. It is very much essential in paper-2 and paper-3. One can use concluding headings such as “Way Forward” or “Future ahead” in the answers.
- Draw diagrams wherever required especially for India and World Maps for geography or International Relations subjects.
- Flow charts can clarify your points and have a role to play along with side headings. Try to present your answers in a concise format along with flowcharts and diagrams.
Try it Now: UPSC IAS Prelims – Solve Papers
Thus, it is important that you read the question clearly and analyse the topic, then ingrain you point of you with knowledge you have gained by study. We hope this article provides you with useful information on how to write effective answers for IAS mains. You may also read the following articles on How to Prepare for Indian History, Polity, Economy, Ecology, Geography and Science and Technology.
- How to Prepare for Indian History for UPSC CSE Prelims
- How to Prepare for Indian Polity for UPSC CSE Prelims
- How to Prepare for Indian Economy for UPSC CSE Prelims
- How to Prepare for Ecology and Biodiversity for UPSC CSE Prelims
- How to Prepare for Science and Technology for UPSC CSE Prelims
- How to Prepare for Geography for UPSC CSE Prelims
Let us know if you have any doubts or queries in the comments section below. All the Best for UPSC Civil Services Examination 2016.
Stay connected for more information regarding UPSC Civil Services Exam Recruitment 2016. To excel in Civil Services Examination, download the Best IAS Exam Preparation App for free.