Guest
Welcome, Guest

Login/Register

Bookmark Bookmark

Exchange Rate of Foreign Currency relating to the Imported and Export Goods Notified

Exchange Rate of Foreign Currency relating to the Imported and Export Goods Notified

In accordance with Section 14 of the Customs Act, 1962; Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) on 3rd January has issued exchange rate notification giving the rate of exchange of conversion of the below mentioned foreign currencies in Indian rupees:

Foreign Currency

Rate of exchange of one unit of foreign currency equivalent to Indian rupees (For Imported Goods)

Rate of exchange of one unit of foreign currency equivalent to Indian rupees (For Exported Goods)

Australian Dollar

52.25

50

Bahraini Dinar

195.10

183.05

Chinese Yuan

10.70

10.35

Euro

82.70

79.70

Pound Sterling

93.35

90.10

US Dollar

72.10

70.40

Turkish Lira

13.75

12.90

 

Exchange Rate Management in India

Over the last six decades since independence the exchange rate system in India has transited from fixed exchange rate regime where the Indian Rupee was pegged to the UK Pound to a basket of currencies during the 1970s and 1980s and eventually to the present form of market determined exchange rate regime since 1993.

Par Value System (1974-1971):

After Independence Indian followed the ‘Par Value System’ whereby the rupee’s external par value was fixed with gold and UK pound sterling. This system was followed up to 1966 when the rupee was devalued by 36 percent.

Pegged Regime (1971-1992):

India pegged its currency to the US dollar (1971-1991) and to pound (1971-75). Following the breakdown of Breton Woods system, the value of pound collapsed, and India witnessed misalignment of the rupee. To overcome the pressure of devaluation India pegged its currency to a basket of currencies. During this period, the exchange rate was officially determined by the RBI within a nominal band of +/- 5 percent of the weighted average of a basket of currencies of India’s major trading partners.

The period since 1991:

The transition to market-based exchange rate was in response to the BOP crisis of 1991. As a first step towards transition, India introduces partial convertibility of rupee in 1992-93 under LERMS.

Liberalised Exchange Rate Management System (LERMS): The LERMS involved partial convertibility of rupee. Under this system, India followed a dual exchange rate policy, where 40 percent of the exchange rate were to be converted at the official exchange rate and the remaining 60 percent were to be converted at the market-based exchange rate. The exchange rate converted at the official rate was to be used for essential imports like crude, oil, fertilizers, life savings drugs etc. All other imports should be financed at the market-based exchange rate.

Market-Based Exchange rate Regime (1993- till present):

The LERMS was a transitional mechanism to provide stability during the crisis period. Once the stability is achieved, India transited from LERMS to a full flash market exchange rate system. As a result, since 1993, exchange rate fluctuations are marker determined. In the 1994 budget, 60:40 ratio was removed, and 100 percent conversion at market-based rate was allowed for all goods and capital movements.

You might be interested:

Vocab Express- 641

Vocab Express- 641 Dear Aspirants, To enhance your vocabulary here are 5 new words. Use these words to improve Written and Spoken English skills. In case you have missed out on our previous Voca ...

4 months ago

Daily News Digest:17 January 2019

Gandhi Peace Prize for 2015-18 announcedThe Gandhi Peace Prize for the years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 was announced on January 16, 2019 by the Union Ministry of Culture.  The 2018 Gandhi Peace ...

4 months ago

Banking Digest, 18 January 2019

National On 17th January, Regional Conference on “Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS)” held in - Mumbai. Convener of a Group of Ministers (GoM) on issues relati ...

4 months ago

One Liners of the Day, 18 January 2019

National On 17th January, Regional Conference on “Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS)” held in - Mumbai. Convener of a Group of Ministers (GoM) on issues relating to ...

4 months ago

IBPS Bank Exam Calendar 2019-20

IBPS Bank Exam Calendar 2019-20: The Institute of Banking & Personnel Selection recently released a notification regarding IBPS PSBs examination dates. In its official notification, IBPS has indic ...

4 months ago

Trump nominates 3 Indian Americans to key administration post

Trump nominates 3 Indian Americans to key administration post US President Donald Trump has nominated three Indian Americans to key administration positions as per the latest list of senior nomination ...

4 months ago

Provide your feedback on this article: